Kale Caesar Salad! This is my favorite way to eat kale. So delicious and healthy!
I love kale. Seriously, I do. Besides Swiss Chard, Kale is my favorite vegetable. Hearty and packed full of nutrients, it’s the ultimate plant-food. However, I know few share my same sentiments. I often get quizzical looks from my clients when I ask them if they’ve ever tried Kale. My question is either quickly dismissed with “Don’t like it” or “Don’t know how to prepare it.”
I gave a talk on Breast Cancer and preventative nutrition last week and was racking my brain on what I could bring for a recipe demo. After playing around in the kitchen a few weekends ago, I came up with this: Kale Caesar Salad. I figured it was familiar enough for everyone to be willing to try it and also highlights Kale.Print
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zested
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. white miso
- 1 bunch Tuscan Kale
- 1/4 cup good-quality bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Rinse and pat dry kale leaves. Stack leaves and roll up like a cigar. Starting at the end, thinly slice “ribbons” of kale, like a wide chiffonade and set aside in a large bowl.
- Make dressing:
- *Using food processor: Combine all ingredients in a blender/food processor and blend until creamy.
- *By hand: Make a garlic paste: thinly mince the garlic and place into a pile. Using the back of a large knife, press the minced garlic down and scrape until a paste forms. Add the garlic to a bowl with the garlic, salt, lemon juice, zest and miso. Mix together and whisk in the extra virgin olive oil until smooth and creamy.
- Toss with the kale and let sit for 10 minutes. This allows the kale to “wilt”.
- Add the cheese, breadcrumbs and toss to combine. For an extra protein-filled meal, try adding a can of drained and rinsed while beans to this salad.