Happy Halloween! I’ve got the perfect trick-or-treating dinner for you, this chickpea tortellini soup! Growing up, my mom always made a pot of soup or chili for us to eat before we headed out to the candy buffet, and to this day I always associate halloween with a soup of some kind.
I knew this week was going to be a crazy one, so I went ahead and made this soup on Monday to enjoy tomorrow night. We’ve had this tortellini soup a few times over the last month and I swear I love it more each time I make it.
Whether or not you plan on trick-or-treating or not, this soup is perfect for busy weeknights. It’s ready in just about 35-40 minutes and a yummy way to enjoy a few of my favorite things: chickpeas, spinach and tortellini.
To make this creamy without the cream, I’m making a slurry of soy milk and flour that will thicken the soup as it cooks. That’s my trick when I don’t want to use a bunch of cashew cream, half and half and the like. It’s a great way to get a creamy soup without additional fat or calories.
I’m calling for soy milk as I think it’s the best of all non-dairy milks for body and flavor. Almond milk is basically water, though I do think oat milk or pea milk would work as well- I just haven’t tried it myself. Of course, since this is a vegetarian soup, you can also use regular cow’s milk.
Are you dressing up tonight? We got Van a dinosaur costume… and BL and I are going as paleontologists! Ha! I’ll be sharing a photo on Instagram later, hopefully we get a good one.Print
Chickpea Tortellini Soup! This creamy vegetarian soup is the perfect weeknight meal! Ready in less than 60 minutes and packed with vegetables and chickpeas. Comfort food perfection!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (I like Pacific Foods)
- 1 (9 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and once hot, add the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and spices (through pepper) and let cook for another 2-3 minutes until fragrant and reduced.
- Add in the beans, broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add in the tortellini and let cook for 5 minutes.
- While the tortellini is cooking, place the soy milk and flour in a mason jar or another container with a lid and shake until well-combined. Gently add the milk slurry mixture into the soup and let cook for 10-15 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in the chopped spinach and 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar until spinach has wilted. Season to taste with more salt/pepper as needed and serve!
Keywords: soup, vegetarian, dinner, chickpeas, stew