Being pregnant has given me a whole new appreciation for non-alcoholic drinks. B.B. (before babe), I would typically opt for plain water if I wasn’t going for a glass of wine or a cocktail. It’s not that I was against other options, they just rarely entered my thoughts as a possibility when dining out. It was alcohol or bust.
Now, I love trying out different shrubs, teas and tonics when we go out, my favorite being the hibiscus agua fresca at Mission Taco here in St. Louis. That beverage was a complete game-changer; I think I downed two the first night trying it, and have gone back almost weekly for their taco and agua fresca combo.
If you haven’t had an agua fresca before, let me introduce you to the most refreshing drink ever. Think infused water with a lot more flavor; similar to juice with a lighter texture. This version uses three of my favorite summer ingredients: cucumber, lime and mint. Think of it like a margarita for the 9 o’clock hour.
I tend to make a pitcher of this for the weekend, storing leftovers in a giant mason jar that I can sip on throughout the day. It’s light, cooling and perfect for these overly-humid days.
For the ultimate treat, serve over lots of crushed ice and a wedge or two of fresh lime juice. And, for those of you who have my B.B. mindset, a splash or two of vodka or gin would be lovely. TGIF.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Cucumber Mint Lime Agua Fresca! Super refreshing and low-sugar drink mocktail. Try it this summer!
- 4 cups roughly chopped cucumber (can leave the seeds/peel on)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup packed mint leaves
- 1/4 cup sugar (I usually start with 1/4 cup and add more if needed)
- 4 1/2 cups water
- pinch salt
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender and puree until smooth. Depending on the size of your blender, you may need to do this in batches. I usually puree the cucumber and lime juice first, then add in the rest to make sure it all fits. If drinking immediately, blend in a few handfuls of ice to the blender before straining.
- Strain using a fine mesh strainer or nut-milk bag (this fine mesh strainer over a large mason jar works perfectly).
- Serve over lots of ice or store in the fridge until ready to drink.