Healthy Banana Pecan Muffins! You are going to love these fluffy, moist muffins! Perfect for an afterschool snack or breakfast.
If time permitted, I would wake up every day to freshly baked muffins. The way my kitchen smells after I pull these babies out of the oven is heavenly. One of these plus a giant mug of coffee is the perfect way to say, good morning.
Scrounging through my baking closet only to find a few single mini muffin liners made me realize that I don’t make muffins enough. I should have an endless supply of regular – and mini – muffin liners available at a ripe bananas notice. The moment the bananas have softened just right, it’s muffin time.
I want these muffins to be as healthful as they are delicious. Which, thankfully isn’t too difficult. Overripe bananas are sweet and forgiving, pecans are buttery and perfect, and honey is always right.
To give these a little more staying power, I swapped in whole-wheat pastry flour for some of the regular. Whole-wheat pastry flour has less gluten than traditional whole wheat flour resulting in a lighter, fluffier muffin that still packs in the benefits of whole grains. Instead of granulated sugar, I’m using 100% honey in these for a richer sweetness that pairs perfectly with the mashed bananas.
Chopped nuts in the batter plus extra on top makes for the perfect snack on National Nut Day, coming tomorrow. To take advantage of this fun holiday, the Recipe Redux group has devoted our monthly posting to feature nuts! So, get nutty with it. Make these muffins and then check out the full roundup below.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
- 1/3 cup neutral oil
- 1/2 cup honey*
- 2 eggs*
- 1 cup well-mashed ripe bananas (~2 large bananas)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (may need to go up to 1 cup depending on how mashed your ‘nanas are)
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line with muffin liners or lightly grease a muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the honey and oil until well combined. Whisk in the eggs and stir in the mashed bananas, milk and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flours, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined.
- Slowly add in the dry mixture to the wet and stir until just combined. If your bananas aren’t “wet” enough, you may need to add a little more flour to the batter. Stir in the pecans.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups, filling each cup about 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle the top of the muffins with chopped pecans.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove and eat! These are amazing on their own but sooooooo good with a little peanut butter and honey drizzled on top. Huzah!
For a vegan version, swap in 2 flax eggs for the eggs and maple syrup for the honey!