Lemon Pan-Fried Potatoes with Chive Pesto. The perfect side dish for the holidays. Vegan and gluten-free.
Both hands up for the side dishes! I take my role of side-dish eater very seriously. Who needs turkey when you can pile your plate full of yummy, colorful vegetables and grains? Because Thanksgiving aside, this is what I feel every night.
If you’re looking for a side dish to debut on Thursday, this is it. Creamy, lemon potatoes topped with a buttery chive pesto. It’s unexpected, yet rooted in the classics. It also happens to be gluten-free and vegan, which is a nice offering to have for anyone who drops by your table.
Aren’t these potatoes stunning? I’m tempted to put a few in a bowl and call it a centerpiece. These little beauties are Chilean Splash potatoes, with a creamy skin, buttery texture and unique purple “splash” of color. Since they keep their color once cooked, I wanted to highlight their unique look in a simple pan-roasted version.
In addition to being a stunning side dish, these potatoes couldn’t be easier to put together. Gently simmer until tender, then keep cooking until all of the water is evaporated. Add in a little butter and toss to create a yummy crust that pairs perfectly with the luscious center.
To brighten things up, spoon the chive pesto on top while the potatoes are still warm. A simple mixture of chives, parsley, almonds, lemon and garlic, whirled together to create a nutty, herb paste. This chive pesto is addictive; if you’ve got any leftovers, smear it on sandwiches, toss with pasta or top grilled tofu.
And, if you’re like me- completely shirking any T-day cooking responsibilities, enjoy this side dish for any upcoming weeknight meal.
We’re headed to Wisconsin at the end of this week and I’m excited for a few days of absolutely nothing. My in-laws live in a town that’s so tiny, they’re aren’t any stoplights. It’s the perfect place to get-away, reset and relax.
- 2 pounds The Little Potato Company potatoes, quartered
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- Chive Pesto
- ½ cup chopped fresh chives
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine potatoes, lemon juice, salt, butter in a dutch oven or large pot. Add just enough cold water to cover, then bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until potatoes are tender about 20-25 minutes. Continue to cook until pan is almost dry, then add in the butter. Gently fry potatoes until crispy and browned.
- Place on a platter.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the pesto. Add the chives, parsley, almonds and garlic in a food processor and chop until fine. With the machine running, gradually add lemon juice and remaining oil through feed until incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with chive pesto.