It’s Monday morning, and I need easy. After a
jam-packed weekend, I’m in the mood for simple creature comforts like a giant blanket, coffee on the couch wrapped up in said blanket, and meals that I can make while standing in the kitchen, wrapped in that same blanket. I’m fairly certain I’ve just described the snuggie.
BL and I have settled into our domestic weekend roles fairly easily. I spend most of the week talking about all of the projects we are going to get done on the weekend. We’re ambitious. I want to paint the entire interior, redo the kitchen counters, and purchase furniture for the 4 rooms that are completely vacant. Before the holidays. We nod in unison throughout the week on our to-do list but somehow, come Sunday morning, we are back in our respective places. I’m in the kitchen, he’s writing emails, and it’s OK. Monday morning comes, and we do it all over again.
I’m realizing that while we both have two speeds (sloth and overdrive), it’s OK to savor the downtime, even if that means extending our honey-do list towards infinity. I’m working on adapting those practices to work life as well. It’s a slower movement, but I’d like to stop living and dying with every impending deadline. Like, chill out, it’s just food.
Which, is exactly what these quesadillas are. Quick sweet potato hummus, arugula, black beans, and a little pepper jack cheese if you’ve got it. The smell of melted pepper jack and warm sweet potato makes my heart do a little pitter patter with every bite. So sprinkle a little extra on, it’s Monday afterall.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Sweet Potato Hummus Quesadilla! Homemade sweet potato hummus with black beans, arugula, and pepperjack cheese. Easy dinner that’s ready in 10 minutes. This hummus will make enough for 6-8 full quesadillas so you can either choose to make the entire batch and save for later (do this! especially with my cinnamon flatbreads) or halve the recipe.
- Sweet Potato Hummus:
- ½ cup sweet potato puree (about 1 small sweet potato, steamed or cooked all the way through and pureed.)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, reserved
- Rest of the ingredients:
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups very loosely packed arugula
- 1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
- Make the hummus
- Add all ingredients except olive oil into a high-powered blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. With the motor running, drizzle in 3 tbsp. of olive oil until incorporated.
- Make the quesadillas
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium high heat. Spray with a little olive oil spray, if needed.
- Spread ~1/4 cup of the sweet potato hummus onto one side of the tortilla. Top with 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cup pepperjack cheese and 1 cup loosely packed arugula. Place on the skillet and top with the remaining tortilla. Cook for 5 minutes until golden brown, flipping once.
- Remove from skillet and slice.