Are you ready for your new favorite weeknight meal? Because these spicy coconut curry lentils are it! Both vegan and gluten free, they are my definition of healthy comfort food. Curried lentils in a spicy, fragrant tomato curry sauce with sweet potatoes and carrots. Gimme these along with rice and naan and I’m ready for the long winter.
I want us to eat more beans. Of all the foods, I think this is one we should be adding to our plates more often. Well, OK, we probably should be eating more vegetables as well. Vegetables and beans!? That’s the stuff my dietitian heart is made of.
Why more beans? For one, they are an inexpensive source of plant-based protein. With roughly 16-20g of protein per serving, beans are a great way to meet your protein needs without eating, um, meat. Beans also contain fiber and antioxidants and they don’t contain cholesterol, saturated fat or hormones like their animal counterparts.
Beans are also linked to longevity! Swapping in beans and other dried pulses, like lentils, for even a few servings a week can reduce cancer, heart disease and diabetes risk. Pretty awesome, right?
Ready in just 30 minutes, these are the definition of an easy meal idea. Make the sauce, add the cooked lentils, coconut milk and tomato sauce and let simmer until thick and creamy.
For a fast weeknight approach, I use precooked lentils that I get in the produce section of the grocery store. If you’ve got more time, then cook the lentils from dried ahead of time.
Here’s a tip for spice-filled recipes like this one. Add the dried spices to the sauté pan with the softened vegetables and the oil. Allowing the spices to bloom in the oil creates much more flavor than adding them to the sauce itself. You’ll also want to cook the vegetables down so the onion is soft and caramelized and the potatoes and carrots are softened.
That’s it! Now, enjoy this beautiful pan of spicy coconut curry lentils.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Spicy Coconut Curry Lentils! These lentils are the perfect quick weeknight meal. Curried lentils in a tomato coconut sauce, ready in just 30 minutes! Vegan and Gluten-free.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or other oil)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped sweet potatoes (about 1 small potato)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (I used a hot curry powder from Penzey’s)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less, depending on what spice level you want)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- cilantro, for garnish
- basmati rice, for serving
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions, jalapenos, carrots and sweet potatoes and cook until vegetables are just soft, about 8-9 minutes.
- Add in the spices and cook another minute until fragrant.
- Add in the lentils, tomato sauce and coconut milk and simmer over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes until thickened and sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe with 1/2 cup cooked rice
- Calories: 433
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 316 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 71 g
- Fiber: 16 g
- Protein: 17 g