Have you tried melon and feta before? I was first introduced to the combo many years ago by my Danish cousin and I remember thinking how odd the combination of watermelon, feta and mint sounded. Well, fast-forward to now and it’s one of my favorite ways to prepare in-season melon.
We are currently on vacation with my family and have already eaten this salad twice in the past 4 days. It’s the perfect thing to make for lunch when we are hungry, but don’t want anything too heavy before heading back down to the beach. This arugula, watermelon and feta salad hits all of the summer lunch requirements: light, refreshing and packed with flavor.
Sweet watermelon, salty feta and mint are the perfect summer pairing. When watermelon is juicy enough that it runs down your chin when you bite into a piece, it’s time to make this salad.
It should also be said that while I’m highlighting watermelon here, cantaloupe, muskmelon and honeydew can also be subbed in for some or all of the melon.
I recommend purchasing feta that’s packed in brine as I find it’s flavor is superior to the vacuum-packed, pre-crumbled kind. Depending on where you shop, you’ll likely find this kind of cheese in the specialty cheese section instead of the dairy aisle. Buying in brine keeps feta sharp, tangy and creamy while extending the shelf-life to weeks instead of days.
As a bonus, you can use the leftover feta liquid to make sauces, marinades and dressings. Try it as a base for my tofu feta!
While you can serve this salad with everything tossed together, I like to prepare it and then crumble the feta on top for a more interesting texture and sharp flavor.
That’s really the beauty about summer food, isn’t it? Less fuss is better. I find that this time of year I just want to graze and enjoy as much fresh produce as I can. This salad is the perfect way to highlight juicy melon, either as it or as a side to a heartier meal. You can’t go wrong!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad! The BEST salad for summer! Super refreshing, salty and sweet. A must-make!
- 4 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
- 4 ounces arugula leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Toss together the watermelon, mint, arugula and olives together in a large bowl. Drizzle over the olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest along with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss again.
- Divide into separate bowls or a large platter and crumble the feta on top. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/4th recipe
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 352 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 6 g