Honey Garlic Baked Tofu, better than takeout! Crispy baked tofu nuggets in a sweet garlic sauce. Perfect over brown rice or steamed vegetables.
Dinner time! And time for a giant pat on the back- to me. I am the queen of making grandiose plans and then rarely following through with them, so when I actually make a goal and stick with it- I want high fives all around.
I declared 2016 my year of weeknight dinners. Which, I know sounds utterly ridiculous coming from both a dietitian and a food blogger. Shouldn’t I have this dinner thing down by now? Yes, but no.
Starting this January, I’ve been making weekly meal plans, grocery shopping for said plans and actually making what I intended! It’s like Christmas everyday. Of course, I’ve learned that dinner needs to be ready in 30 minutes, fairly simple to put together and satisfying to both BL and I. If my meal doesn’t fit the above criteria, I’m much more inclined to order take-out, chomp on cheese and crackers, or reheat some leftovers and call it a day.
My latest dinner adventure is this Crispy Honey Garlic tofu! Baked, not fried, tofu cubes smothered in a sweet, garlic sauce. The real test is limiting how many cubes of tofu you sneak into your mouth before plating. I swear I ate 1/4 of the tofu as it was coming off of the pan and into the sauce. Perfectly faux-fried and dripping in deliciousness.
The funny thing about my dinner goal is that it has little to do with the actual food. Making time for dinner means I’m making quality time for BL and I. Carving out a half hour in our busy days to talk and connect is something that I’m trying to not take for granted. It’s also what keeps me coming back to making my grocery list each week. Even though it’s one more thing on my to-do list, it just may be the most important. If you’re in a dinner rut, make sure to follow along on Facebook where I share my weekly dinner plans.
Hope you enjoy this crispy honey garlic tofu as much as we did!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Crispy Honey Garlic Tofu Stir-Fry
Yield 4 servings
Crispy Honey Garlic Tofu! Better than takeout! Crispy baked tofu nuggets in a sweet garlic sauce. Perfect over brown rice or steamed vegetables! Vegetarian.
- 16 ounces firm tofu, cubed
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk or almond milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (use homemade gluten-free or store bought gluten-free crumbs for GF version)
- ½ cup whole-wheat (or regular flour- use gluten-free flour for GF version)
- 1/2 cup honey, or more, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cooked Rice or Quinoa for serving (I used Planet Rice's California Blonde rice here)
- Sesame seeds, sliced scallions, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the milk, breadcrumbs and flour in separate shallow bowls.
- One at a time, dip a cube of tofu into the flour, then milk, and then the panko breadcrumbs.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes until golden brown. Flip, then cook another 10-15 minutes until golden. Remove from oven.
- While the tofu is cooking, combine honey, garlic and soy sauce in a medium saucepan. In a separate bowl, combine the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water, making sure the cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch mixture into the honey saucepan and heat the sauce over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened about 2-3 minutes.
- Place the honey mixture in a large bowl and gently toss with cooked tofu pieces
- Serve immediately over cooked rice or quinoa, drizzling on any remaining sauce.
- Garnish, if desired, with sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
Courses vegetarian, tofu, dinner, healthy
Cuisine chinese, healthy, vegetarian
More healthy recipes that are better than takeout!