I’m so excited to share these fluffy vegan pancakes with you! I’ve been working on the perfect vegan pancakes for what seems like years and I feel like I finally cracked the code.
I’m fairly certain I’ve tried a least a dozen different vegan pancakes over the years, only to come up short on what I’m looking for. I want pancakes that are light and fluffy, not stiff and gummy.
Taking out traditional leaveners like eggs requires some creativity so the pancakes rise when heated on a skillet. That’s why I use both baking powder and baking soda; the combination of the two is what creates these light and fluffy pancakes.
The other secret is using oat milk in place of other non-dairy milks like almond, soy or coconut. Why oat milk? As I’ve explained in previous posts, oat milk is higher in carbohydrates and therefore will brown better than almond or soy.
Oftentimes vegan pancakes are pale in color, but oat milk creates the perfect golden brown cake. If you want to feel extra fancy, make your own with my homemade oat milk recipe.
Those familiar with vegan baking will know that to replace an egg, you often mix together flax seed meal with water to create a gel before adding it to the mixture. That works fine in most baked goods, but creates a gummy texture in pancakes.
Therefore, I want you to add the ground flax meal right into the dry ingredients without creating a gel first. If you are newer to vegan baking, then please make sure to use ground flax seed meal and not the whole seeds.
In my book, pancakes are better with blueberries as they add texture, sweetness and color. Fresh or frozen blueberries work here, as do other berries (or chocolate chips!)
These will be the fluffy vegan pancakes that you come back to over and over again. Enjoy! xo
Fluffy vegan pancakes with blueberries! These vegan pancakes are hands down the best! Light, fluffy, perfectly golden brown and easy to make!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground flax meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups oat milk (homemade or regular)
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted/cooled
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Fresh or frozen blueberries
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and then add to the dry ingredients and whisk together until just incorporated, not over mixing.
- In an oiled pan, drop 1/4 cup pancake batter at a time and add blueberries on the top. Cook until fluffy, then flip and cook again.
Keywords: breakfast, brunch, vegan