Grilled Banana Sundaes with Chocolate Hazelnut Sauce! These dairy-free sundaes are so incredibly delicious, you will want them over and over again this summer! Grilled bananas topped with coconut cream, homemade chocolate hazelnut sauce.
Happy Birthday to Me! Well, almost. Is it still OK to declare a birthday month after you settle into your thirties? Since I’m at my sister’s house in Virginia for the week, snuggling with my 3-year and 1-week old nieces, it feels like I get to celebrate my birthday all week long. Baby hugs in the morning, imaginary tea parties in the afternoon, and amazing dinners with family in the evening.
The older I get, the more I relish the importance of family get-togethers with very little plans. I’m looking forward to making the most out of our lazy days this week, without trying to cram a million things in like we normally do on vacation.
I made these sundaes on Saturday night as a way to usher in the celebratory week. Grilled bananas, soft whipped coconut cream, the most incredible chocolate hazelnut sauce and plenty of sprinkles for topping. If you’re looking for a healthier approach to the banana split, this is it.
I’ve been really digging the idea of banana ice cream lately, as the perfect sweet treat to end a meal with. I don’t know if it’s my older and wiser taste buds, but I’ve noticed how off-putting sweets have been lately. Since I’ve been actively trying to cut down on our all-over sugar intake, even basic items like donuts and ice cream have been tasting cloying sweet, one or two bites and I’m done.
Of course, I’m not complaining. I wanted this to happen! The farther your taste buds get from overly sweet foods (artificially sweetened foods included), the more sweet natural items taste- like fruit! So, while these grilled banana sundaes might not be the exact same as a triple-layer sundae, they were enjoyed by the entire family- my 3-year old niece loved it so much she ate hers and then finished the rest of mine.
I really wanted the chocolate sauce to be reminiscent of nutella: lots of chocolate with a hint of hazelnut. I used dark chocolate as my base here, but if that’s not sweet enough for you, go ahead and swap in milk chocolate or 1/2 dark chocolate and 1/2 milk chocolate. Not a fan of hazelnuts? No problem, swap in peanuts or almonds instead.
Then, let the ice cream fun begin! I served this as a bar-grilled bananas wrapped in foil to keep them warm alongside various bowls of toppings. Isn’t food so much more fun when you get to assemble your own? Must explain my obsession with Chipotle and now, SweetGreen.
If you end up making this recipe, I’d love to know! Tag #delishknowledge on social media and come back to leave a comment on your thoughts! Seeing you make my recipes makes my day!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Grilled Banana Sundaes with Chocolate Hazelnut Sauce! These dairy-free sundaes are so incredibly delicious, you will want them over and over again this summer! Grilled bananas topped with coconut cream, homemade chocolate hazelnut sauce. Gluten-Free and Vegan.
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup crushed hazelnuts, plus more for topping.
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 firm but ripe bananas
- Whipped coconut cream, for topping
- Sprinkles, for topping
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Wet a paper towel with oil and rub over the grates with tongs so bananas won’t stick. Alternatively, you can use a piece of aluminum foil on top of the grill.
- Place the chocolate and coconut milk in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Cook, whisking consistently, until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and whisk in the crushed hazelnuts. Remove from heat. Whisk in 1/3 cup crushed hazelnuts. Set aside.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Halve 4 firm ripe bananas lengthwise, then halve crosswise to form 4 pieces each. Gently toss the bananas with the sugar. Place on a grill or grill pan, flat side down, and grill until browned and caramelized, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Top with coconut cream, sprinkles and crushed hazelnuts.