This post is sponsored by OXO and California Olive Ranch. Thanks for supporting the brands that make DK possible.
This Kale Citrus Salad is a must for dreary February. I know everyone says that January is the longest month ever, but February always seems to drag on forever. Perhaps it’s because I’m still coming down from the excitement of the holidays in January, and February weather in St. Louis has only one speed: gray and icy.
This salad brightens everything up! Shredded kale with grapefruit, orange, avocado, and the best citrus-extra virgin olive oil dressing. It’s sunshine in a bowl, perfect for gloomy winter days.
Did I mention how well the textures play off each other? Juicy, tart citrus. And then, creamy avocado and little bits of crispy tofu. Finished with a bright orange dressing, oh man, it’s so good. I might have polished off an entire bowl yesterday for lunch. It’s just so, so good and super refreshing.
Great meals start with excellent extra virgin olive oil, and that’s why I call for using California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil in this recipe. Home cooks know that good extra virgin olive oil makes a difference and California Olive Ranch is the best. We use it twice in this recipe, first to cook the crispy tofu nuggets, and then again in the citrus orange dressing.
And, no healthy salad is complete without using OXO tools. As you can see, I’m using OXO a few different ways in this recipe. First, to juice the oranges for the dressing, second to mix up the dressing with the OXO Salad Dressing Shaker, and lastly, I use the OXO Salad Spinner to wash and dry the kale so that dressing sticks and greens don’t get soggy, then toss everything together. I’ve been a big fan of OXO products for a long time and always seek them out for their quality.
I call for two kinds of citrus, grapefruit, and orange, which I love because the grapefruit balances out the sweet orange and makes things a little more tart. I call for amounts but feel free to make the dish sweeter by adding in more orange, or more tart by adding in more grapefruit.Print
Kale Citrus Salad with Avocado! This vegan salad is perfect for winter. Kale with two kinds of citrus, avocado and crispy tofu! Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 large bunch of kale, stemmed and chopped
- 2 large oranges, peel removed and segmented
- 1 large grapefruit, peel removed and segmented
- 1 large avocado, pit removed and sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- Make the tofu. Remove the tofu from the container and drain out the water. Wrap the tofu between two layers of paper towels and place it on a plate. Put something heavy on top (like a pot/few cans) and let it stand for 15 minutes to get most of the water out.
- Slice the tofu block into cubes, making them large enough that they don’t crumble. Strips/larger cubes are easier to fry than smaller cubes, so you can always fry strips and then cut into smaller cubes later.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the tofu to the pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lightly fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the tofu is a nice golden brown. Flip tofu, sprinkling more salt and pepper, and let fry another 3 minutes. Remove tofu and set aside while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Massage the kale. Wash and dry the kale using an OXO Salad Spinner, then place chopped kale in the OXO Salad Bowl and sprinkle a pinch of salt. Massage the kale by grabbing a handful of it and giving it a quick squeeze. Continue doing this until the kale leaves turn into a slightly darker shade, then set aside.
- Make the dressing. Place all of the ingredients in an OXO Salad Dressing Shaker and shake to combine. Season to taste, adding more salt/pepper as needed.
- Add the orange, grapefruit, avocado and tofu to the kale bowl, then toss with the dressing until well-combined. Season to taste, adding more salt/pepper as needed and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan, glutenfree, vegetarian, healthy, citrus, avocado, tofu
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of OXO and California Olive Ranch.