Happy Friday friends! Any fun plans for the weekend? September is one of my favorite months in St. Louis as so many fun events happen at once. This weekend is the Art Fair, where vendors from all over the country come to showcase their art along with lots of food trucks and live bands. What more could you possible want? We’ll be taking Vander for the opening this afternoon and then BL and I will make a date night out of it tomorrow evening.
Tell me what fun things you’ve got planned this weekend. Is it too early to go apple picking? I put on a sweater for the first time this morning and even though temperatures are still in the 90s, my office is always cold and it felt very almost fall appropriate. It’s way too early for pumpkin-flavored things for me, but I’ll sneak in a sweater or two until temperatures dip.
Let me introduce you to another delicious taco filling- lentil walnut taco meat! My lentil tacos are one of the most popular recipes on this blog and for good reason. They are delicious! Simple to make and packed with plant-based protein, it’s no wonder I make a batch at least weekly.
Last year I made these lentil walnut tacos (in the Instant Pot) and they’ve been a hit in our house as well as yours. Therefore, I thought it was time to make a version on the stove that you can use in tacos, burritos, taco bowls, salads and more.
This recipe is a simpler than my original lentil taco recipe, designed for easy weeknights. I used canned lentils, but of course- you can cook dry lentils first. Most of the time I cook lentils myself but I recently discovered canned lentils and while they have more salt than the dried kind, they are also great for quick weeknight dinners. I included directions for both!
See that super delicious green rice taco bowl above!? That recipe is coming to you on Monday. First we’ll make the taco meat filling, then we’ll add it to a yummy taco bowl. Lentil walnut taco meat- it’s the recipe that keeps on giving.
Have a great weekend! xoPrint
Lentil Walnut Vegan Taco Meat! Looking for a healthy filling for tacos, burritos, quesadillas and more? Try this vegan lentil walnut taco meat. Delicious!
- 1/2 cup chopped walnut pieces
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown lentils (or 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional if using canned lentils)
- 3 tablespoons salsa (or vegetable broth, or water)
- If using dried lentils, rinse lentils then add to a medium sauce pot and cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the walnuts. Toast for ~2 minutes, stirring often until walnuts are lightly browned and fragrant, taking care not to burn. Place the walnuts in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the oil to the same skillet along with the onion and spices. Cook for 5-6 minutes until onions are reduced and translucent but not browned. Add the cooked (or canned) lentils and walnut mixture along with the salsa or broth and cook another 2-3 minutes, gently mashing some of the lentils with the back of your spoon/spatula.
- Season to taste, adding more salt/spice as needed.
I find canned lentils at my local Whole Foods.
Keywords: vegan, glutenfree, mexican,