I ask BL what he wants for dinner at least a few times a week. And, he almost always responds the same way: lentil tacos.
I’ve always got a batch of my lentil tacos in the fridge (or the freezer) as they are not only his favorite, but one of mine as well. They taste just as good on a tortilla as they do in a salad or folded into scrambled eggs.
Now that I’ve got my Instant Pot almost permanently on the counter, I figured it was time I recreate my lentil taco recipe for the Instant Pot. While lentils don’t take that long to cook, making them in the pressure cooker allows me to throw everything in at once and walk away. These days, that’s music to my ears. Dinner time is usually fairly hectic as we try and figure out Van’s bedtime schedule, which seems to change almost nightly.
After falling in love with this pumpkin walnut chili, I knew I wanted to add in walnuts to this lentil taco recipe. It adds nice texture and body and is the perfect complement to the hearty lentils. I know it sounds weird, but they aren’t crunchy after they cook. They become almost like ground meat and absorb the tao spice well.
I love these most wrapped in a flour tortilla with lots of shredded lettuce and salsa, but they also taste great over a loaded salad with crunchy tortilla chips. Either way, it’s a healthy, protein-packed weeknight meal that you are sure to love.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- Taco toppings of choice: shredded lettuce, tomato, jalapenos
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Saute button. Add the olive oil, onion and garlic clove and saute until onion is tender and cooked through, stirring often, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spices and stir together. Hit cancel and add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, walnuts and lentils and stir to combine.
- Place the top on and cook on high manual pressure for 15 minutes. Let pressure come down naturally for 4 minutes, then quick release. Remove the lid and stir lentils, seasoning to taste if needed.
- Serve lentils on tortillas of choice with toppings. The lentil mixture will thicken as it cools.
For the stove-top: Saute the onion in olive oil until soft, then add in the garlic and spices. Cook another 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add in 2 cups vegetable broth, lentils, tomatoes and walnuts and increase to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until lentils are tender, about 20-25 minutes. Serve!