We eat a lot of tacos around here. Like, a lot. Some have taco tuesday, we have taco-every-day. Lentil tacos get put on the menu at least once a week and these tropical tofu tacos, korean tacos and zucchini tacos have been getting a lot of play lately as well.
I was in the mood for a new taco recipe and decided to veganize the chicken tinga taco. There is a taco joint close to our house that we frequent often. It’s where I first fell in love with salsa dona and my #1 choice for weekend breakfasts.
It’s a place that I typically frequent with friends, who almost always order the chicken tinga tacos. Though I haven’t had them myself, they always smell delicious. You know when a sauce is spicy enough that you can smell it? That’s these tacos.
So I opened up some cookbooks, consulted google and figured out what make tinga sauce so darn good. Then I put it on tofu, stuffed it into corn tortillas and topped it with avocado, garden jalapenos and lime juice.
They did not disappoint. Fellow spice lovers, these are for you. They remind me a little of my chipotle sofritas tacos but not quite the same. Similar spice level, different flavor.
If you’re looking for a new weeknight dinner, try these. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Tofu Tinga Tacos! If you love spicy food, you’ve gotta try these vegan tofu tinga tacos. Super easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped white or sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup canned fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (or water or juice from tomato can, if you want these extra spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) container extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed.
- 8-10 tortillas
- 2 avocados, sliced
- chopped cilantro
- Make the sauce: Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5-8 minutes. Add in the garlic, chipotle peppers, oregano, cumin, tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the mixture to a high-powered blender along with the broth and salt and puree until smooth.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a skillet. Crumble the tofu and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add in the sauce and cook for 5-8 minutes until sauce has thickened and mixture is hot.
- Serve: Warm the tortillas, then top with tofu tinga mixture, avocado and cilantro, if using. Eat!
Recipe adapted from the chicken tinga tacos in The Minimalist Kitchen Cookbook.
Keywords: vegan, tofu, tacos