I’ve already talked enough about the weather this past week, so I’m not going to continue today. Like, we know, Alex. It’s spring and things are beautiful and you are making soup to celebrate. Gah. Please, I don’t want to be that person that only talks about what is happening with the weather. Or that person who only talks about babies. I fear I’ve already become that person as 99% of the conversations with my husband lately are about what’s growing in my belly.
Well, not today. Let’s chat soup!
Doesn’t this soup color make you so happy? It’s the perfect chartreuse / green and I’m all about it on my table. I love food that makes you smile when you look at it, and that’s definitely what’s going on here.
Plus, asparagus, peas, fennel. Yum. I might have gone a little crazy with the produce drawer, but I promise that you are rewarded with a flavorful, super creamy soup as a reward. I love serving a simple soup like this with crusty bread for an informal dinner party, or as a first course. Perhaps Easter, Passover, made it through the day without commenting on the temperature? Anything that calls for a celebration seems like a good enough reason to me.
We all know how I feel about textures. While I love a good creamy soup, that can’t be all there is. I need crunch, I need something to bite down on as I’m eating. If I don’t have that, all I can think of is baby food.
That’s why I loaded this one up with the garnishes. A drizzle of olive oil is a must. DO it! If you haven’t drizzled your food with good quality olive oil before, now is most definitely the time to start. It’s so luscious and fancy. Then, a generous sprinkle of fresh herbs, perhaps some crusty croutons if you prefer your bread in rather than dipped. And of course, freshly ground black pepper, another must that I’m not willing to compromise on.
Hope you love this one as much as we did. I almost licked the pot clean after scooping out the last bowl. Which, is as good of a sign as any that this is a keeper.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Pea and Asparagus Soup! This dairy-free, vegetable soup is perfect for Spring or Easter. Gluten-Free and Vegan.
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup leek, thinly sliced
- ½ fennel bulb, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 lb. green peas, thawed if using frozen
- ½ bunch fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- good quality extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- In a medium sized pot, heat oil. Once shimmering and hot, add minced garlic, leeks, and fennel. Cook until fragrant and translucent on medium-low heat.
- Add vegetable broth and water, bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add asparagus and cook until soft and tender. Add peas and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add parsley.
- Transfer to blender. Puree on high speed until smooth.
- Return to pot and keep on low heat until ready to serve.
- Finish with olive oil, course black pepper, and chopped parsley.