Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie! Fluffy, peanut butter, goodness! Inspired by Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Pie of Minimalist Baker
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 2 packages of 8 sheets worth- see notes)
- 1/4 cup melted butter (for vegan version, I prefer Earth Balance baking sticks)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup dates, soaked in hot water for at least 10 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cans coconut cream (chilled overnight. I find this in the baking section of Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and salt and press into a lightly greased pie plate (or glass baking container- see note)
- Bake for 12-13 minutes until fragrant and lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Wipe out the graham cracker bowl and add the sliced bananas. Toss with 1/4 cup sugar, trying to coat every banana slice.
- Place bananas on a [url:2]silpat[/url] or parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until caramelized. Set aside to cool. Using a food processor, fork, or potato masher, mash the bananas well.
- Make the date puree! Remove dates from water and pit them. Place into the base of a food processor and puree until really smooth, adding a bit of hot water as needed until you get the consistency of sticky caramel.
- Using a stand mixer or large, clean bowl, add the coconut cream (if there is any liquid at the bottom of the can, leave it) and beat until fluffy and creamy.
- Add in the date paste and mix.
- Add in the peanut butter and well-mashed bananas and mix once more.
- Transfer to the cooled pie shell and refrigerate at least 3-4 hours!
- Enjoy as is or top! I garnished mine with finely chopped toasted peanuts and coconut whip (use the remaining 1/2 of the coconut cream can to make the whip. Instructions [url:3]here[/url])
I like a good crust on my pie so I used a healthy amount of graham cracker crumbs here. If you want to lighten this pie up a bit, use a little less. This pie also makes fantastic bars! Make the crust and press into a lightly greased 9×13 glass baking dish. You could get away with not lining the sides and using less crust all around, 1.5 cups of crumbs instead of 2. To make this 100% vegan friendly, use vegan graham crackers (traditional ones contain honey) and Earth Balance baking sticks (my favorite anyways!) Make sure your date puree is really smooth. Don’t be afraid to let your food processor run for a few minutes. Same goes for the bananas!