Raspberry Mint Limeade! A refreshing drink, perfect for summer! Vegan, gluten-free & low-sugar.
Living in grad-school suburbia for a few years had it’s perks. It taught me that Kohl’s has surprisingly cute clothes (heyyyy Lauren Conrad Collection), that Panara’s unlimited coffee refills are the best thing to pair with a thesis deadline and Sonic’s cherry limeade is the best cure for a long day. Triple points when you arrive there between 2 and 4PM for $.99 drinks at Happy Hour.
My Sunday’s typically involved a stop at all three locations since they were all in the extra-large strip mall that bordered my apartment. I’d get buzzed on too much caffeine at Panera in the morning, swing by Kohl’s and Target for a shopping break, then grab a refreshing cherry limeade for the walk home. On days I was feeling extra generous, I’d grab two. One for me and one for BL, who introduced me to the refreshing deliciousness that is lime juice + cherry juice + soda.
I still love the idea of a fast-food limeade, but I couldn’t tell you where the closest Sonic is in St. Louis. It’s a good thing. So, I made my own. This time in raspberry-lime form. A quarter of the calories and just as refreshing. It’s my favorite thing to sip on a hot, humid day (should also be noted that these taste great with a little white wine, tequila or rum floater).
I prefer to only use expensive fresh fruit when I can really taste the texture, so frozen red raspberries it is! Simmer with a bit of water, sugar and mint until the raspberries are completely broken down. Strain, add the lime juice then divide among glasses. Top with sparkling water (I used my soda stream), sparkling wine, or beverage of choice.
Cheers, sip and enjoy. Summer is almost here.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Raspberry Mint Limeade
Yield 6 beverages
Raspberry Mint Limeade! A refreshing drink perfect for summer! Vegan, gluten-free and low-sugar.
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 8 mint sprigs, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 cups soda water
- Place frozen raspberries in a saucepan. Add water and sugar then bring to a simmer over medium-high heat then reduce to medium. Simmer, serving occasionally, for 5 minutes until berries are very soft and almost dissolved. Stir in the mint sprigs, then remove pan from heat. Let cool, and discard mint. For a thicker beverage, puree in a blender or using an immersion blender. For a smoother texture, strain and discard solids. Stir in lime juice.
- Divide juice among 6 glasses then top with soda water and mint sprigs.
More refreshing summer beverages: