Ironically, for a person who dislikes traditional breakfast food, brunch could easily pass as my favorite meal. When we were still living in CA, brunch became an almost weekly event. Imagine date night, but better. Considering the fact that I like to be tucked into bed by 9:30PM max, daytime eating and drinking surpasses having to put on makeup and waiting in line for a table.
Now that we have settled into our new place, I wanted to recreate the effortless ease of brunch at home. These slow cooker breakfast burritos are the lazy answer to morning bonding. Place everything in the slow cooker at night, cuddle in, and wake up to these comforting southwestern burritos that are ready when you are.
Scrambles are one of my favorite ways to enjoy tofu. Crumbled, firm tofu has almost the exact same texture of eggs, and can be cooked for hours without turning rubbery or brown. Therefore, if I want to snuggle under the covers a little while longer, I don’t have to worry about burning this breakfast as a compromise.
I tested this one after both 6 hours and 8 hours and each turned out great. If you think you will be sleeping in a little longer, add an extra 1/4 or so of water to the mixture to prevent any burning. While it will be a little more wet, you can use a slotted spoon to drain off any excess liquid before serving.
These burritos are perfect for company! We have a jam-packed visitor schedule this fall and I plan on putting a bowl of these on so everyone can help themselves when they’re hungry. While the filling is great as is, I love it wrapped up in a giant burrito! I top with extra cheese, avocado and lots of hot sauce.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Burritos
Yield 8 burritos
Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Burritos! Make it at night for a healthy breakfast in the morning. These are #vegetarian, easily #vegan and so delicious! Save this for weekend entertaining for houseguests!| www.delishknowledge.com
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 16. oz package first tofu, crumbled
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- [url:1]Sprinkle black salt[/url] (gives a sulfur, eggy taste, optional- but worth it)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups spinach leaves
- 8 whole-wheat tortillas
- [b]Optional Toppings:[/b] Sliced Avocado, Shredded Cheese, Salsa
- Place the black beans, crumbled tofu (no need to press before hand), scallions, green pepper, salsa, water, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, paprika and generous pinch salt and pepper in the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours on low. (see notes)
- When ready to serve, stir in the spinach until just wilted.
- Using a slotted spoon to remove as much extra liquid as possible, place a scoop on the center of a burrito, top with any optional toppings and roll up!
- Serve with extra salsa, hot sauce or anything else you like with your breakfast burritos!
This one doesn't overcook, so if you cook it longer than 6 hours, that's OK. If you plan on cooking it for longer than 6 hours, add few extra tablespoons of water so that it doesn't burn.
Courses breakfast, burrito, vegetarian, vegan
Serving Size 8
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.