Slow Cooker Chickpea Tangine! You’ve gotta try this amazing vegan crock-pot meal. Packed with flavor, protein and fiber. Vegan + Gluten-Free.
As usual, I’m playing fast and loose with titles. Spiced chickpeas with tomatoes, apricots and couscous? Well, that’s a tangine in my book. Please note that my book may not be your book; it’s born out of my love of spices, vegetables and pulses without much care for tradition.
Honestly, it doesn’t matter. If you love warm, fragrant spices like cumin and turmeric, hearty chickpeas and nutty couscous, you are going to love this dish. I’ve been trying to use my crock-pot more often, though after hearing your feedback on Facebook, I’m thisclose to purchasing an Instapot. As a work-from-home woman sans children, I really have zero excuses not to have dinner ready every night, but why is it so hard to do this? I cook all day long, yet when BL walks in the door, I usually mutter something about leftovers. Slow-cooker to the rescue. I dump in everything mid-afternoon when I’m already in the kitchen and ta-da! Super Wife 6 hours later.
I was inspired to make this dish after cleaning out my refrigerator drawer that I keep stocked with nuts and dried fruits. Sigh, living in a century-old house without any storage spaces makes for an interesting set-up. Dishes are in the basement, nuts are in the crisper. Somehow, it just works.
A little organizing revealed that I had no less than 3 bags of dried apricots at my disposal. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why or when these apricots appeared in my kitchen but there they were, just begging to be used. So, tangine of my imagination it is.
I really, really love this dish and I hope you make it. It’s the perfect dish for right now; in between all of the cookies, candy, cocktails and gatherings. A simple, nourishing break for nights when you want a healthy dinner without any fuss.
If you’re so lucky to own an Instapot, you can make the entire thing there. Saute the vegetables, then add the rest of the ingredients and cook per the directions. For everyone else, it’s worth it to saute the onion and spices before putting them into the crockpot, the little bit of extra time is so worth the intensified flavor.
Slow Cooker Chickpea Tangine
Yield 4 servings
Slow Cooker Chickpea Tangine! You've gotta try this amazing vegan crock-pot meal. Packed with flavor, protein and fiber. Vegan + Gluten-Free.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chickpeas
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and carrots and saute for 5-10 minutes until soft. Toss flour with cooked vegetables and gradually mix in vegetable broth until no lumps remain. Stir in maple syrup and tomato paste and mix well.
- Add ginger, herbs, spices with salt & pepper to taste. Add in chopped tomatoes and mix together. Place everything into the slow cooker along with the chickpeas and dried apricots. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours on high. Before serving, stir in chopped cilantro.
- Serve over cooked couscous.
Courses dinner, entree, main
Cuisine slow cooker, healthy, glutenfree, vegan