Slow Cooker Lentil Lasagna Soup! You will love this hearty, healthy slow-cooker soup made vegetarian with lentils. Easily vegan with dairy-free ricotta.
Pull out your slow-cooker- it’s lasagna time!
There’s a theme around here, if you haven’t noticed. I’ve been making my favorite comfort foods with a giant easy button. Instead of tacos, we’re doing taco potatoes, instead of spring rolls, I made a spring roll salad and now, instead of lasagna, I’m making lasagna soup.
BL asked me what exactly lasagna soup was and I replied, tomato-vegetable soup with broken lasagna noodles and a dollop of ricotta cheese on top. You get where this is going, right? All the flavors of lasagna with a fraction of the work.
I apologize. I still love to cook but over these last few weeks of being very pregnant, between extra swollen feet, sore hips and a tired back, I looked for every shortcut imaginable. I’m fairly certain this is going to be the case from here on out, what with a newborn and all. Lemme know when I should expect to feel back to normal; 15 years, give or take?
Slow Cooker Lentil Lasagna Soup
This soup is so incredibly delicious (and easy) that I hope you’ll put it on your menu for the weekend.
A base of sauteed vegetables gets cooked with lentils in a fragrant tomato broth. Then, we add in broken lasagna noodles (or, any kind of noodle) and let cook until soft. Spoon into bowl and top with a dollop of ricotta cheese. While I used regular cheese here, it’s super easy to make dairy-free. I have a tofu-ricotta recipe here and I love this one using cashews.
One other tip – don’t be afraid to really break-up the noodles before adding them to the soup. They will plump up a lot when cooking and I found that smaller pieces were better for eating. If you don’t feel like using lasagna sheets, elbows, ditalini or another small noodle would work just as well.
Hope you love this one as much as we did. xo
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Slow Cooker Lentil Lasagna Soup! You will love this hearty, healthy slow-cooker lasagna soup made vegetarian with lentils. Easily vegan using dairy-free ricotta.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup lentils (I used French green lentils, but brown also works)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 6 sheets lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese (use dairy-free for vegan version)
- chopped basil for garnish, option
- Heat the olive oil over medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, carrots, garlic cloves, salt, basil and oregano and cook until just softened, about 5 more minutes.
- Transfer mixture to the base of a slow cooker along with the tomato paste, canned tomatoes, lentils and broth and cook on high for 4 hours until lentils are tender.
- Add the noodle pieces, stir together and cook until just al dente. If soup is too thick, thin with a bit of vegetable broth.
- Divide soup in 4-6 bowls and top with ricotta cheese. Garnish with basil, if using.