Smashed Potatoes with Shallot Dressing! Save this when you need an easy side-dish for the holidays. Ready in less than 30 minutes! Smashed, crispy potatoes topped with buttery shallot dressing. Vegan and Gluten-Free.
It wouldn’t be December if I wasn’t bringing you another delicious, simple side dish. Because, it’s all about the sides, right? Since I pass on the usual mains at family gatherings, I focus on the
rest best, the vegetables. These smashed potatoes are so amazing and perfect for any dinner, fancy or not.
The best part about this side dish is that the prep time is so minimal, you can still visit with company while sipping on a cocktail. The secret is relying on The Little Potato Company‘s microwave ready potatoes. Man, these things are so delicious, we enjoy them at least weekly. Pop in the microwave to steam, toss with herbs and a bit of oil and serve. These and a veggie burger make my too-tired-to-cook heart sing.
While I’m not above serving the potatoes straight from the microwave as is, I wanted to create something that was just as simple, but a little more fancy. Secretly not-so-fancy, of course. Smash, top with a caramelized shallot dressing and roast until super crispy.
They are so delicious, I could polish off any entire tray myself.
The Little Potato Company makes three varieties of their microwave-ready tates: garlic-parsley, savory herb and three cheese. Obviously, I’m drawn to the garlic-herb because, garlic, but any variety will work in this dish. The tiny potatoes steam perfectly in the microwave ready-pack, just as creamy as if you were to roast, steam or boil them.
You’ll want to take your time to get the shallots really browned for this dish, so make sure you give yourself space to do so. If needed, you can make the shallots ahead of time for easy assembly the day of.
- 1 package The Little Potato Company garlic & parsley microwave ready potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet and add the shallots, salt and pepper. Cook for 15-20 minutes until dark and reduced. Deglaze with the vegetable broth, then add in the contents of the seasoning packet and stir until most of the liquid is reabsorbed.
- While the shallots are cooking, make the potatoes. Remove the seasoning packet from the potatoes and place in the microwave. Cook for 4½ minutes, then let stand for 2 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the microwave and place on a baking sheet. Lightly smash with a potato masher or fork.
- Spoon the shallot mixture on top of the potatoes, drizzle with more olive oil and cook for 15-20 minutes until crispy and browned.
- Remove from oven and garnish with parsley.
- Serve immediately.