Vegan Tofu Benedict with Asparagus! If you love eggs Benedict, then you must try this vegan version. Tofu egg on english muffin with cashew hollandaise sauce, tomatoes and sauteed asparagus. Perfect for Easter, Mother’s Day, Wedding Showers and Vegan Brunch!
Vegan Tofu Egg:
- 8 ounces firm tofu, pressed and sliced into 1/4″ thick slices (should get 8 thin slices)
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- pinch salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound asparagus spears, woody ends removed
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for at least 30 minutes for easier blending
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 english muffins
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Make the tofu eggs. Press and slice the tofu then place in a wide baking dish and set aside. Whisk together the black salt, turmeric, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, water, and 1 tablespoon olive oil together. Pour the marinade over the tofu and let sit for at least 15 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. When ready to cook, heat the remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu egg and cook 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Make the cashew hollandaise: Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until very creamy and smooth. Depending on the power of your blender, this might take at least 3-4 minutes. Season to taste, adding more lemon and salt as needed. Set aside.
- Make the asparagus. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in the minced garlic. Quickly stir for 10 seconds to break down (taking care not to burn), then add in the asparagus and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir the asparagus frequently for 2-3 minutes until just tender. Remove from heat.
- Assemble! Split and toast english muffins. Top each 1/2 with slice tomato, asparagus, tofu egg and hollandaise sauce. Garnish with chopped chives, if desired.
*Black Salt is a must in my opinion for making tofu actually tastes like eggs. You don’t have to have it, but if you plan on making tofu scrambles often, then it’s worth purchasing online. If you omit it, the tofu is still delicious but just doesn’t have that ‘eggy’ taste
Keywords: vegan, brunch, benedict