A vibrant, nutrient packed bowl of kale, chickpeas, sweet potatoes and quinoa, tossed with a creamy miso-caesar dressing. Each bowl is packed with protein, fiber & antioxidants!
Get ready to face-plant directly into this bowl! If the phrase “you are what you eat” has any merit, you better start reaching for you super hero tights because you are going to feel like flying after this eating this power-packed bowl.
When I talk to clients about the benefits of healthy eating, my first argument always centers around how the client feels. I’ve found that the biggest motivator for a diet change is a person’s desire to improve the way they feel.
We’ve all had experiences where we eat too much or we consume the wrong types of food. As a result, we end up feeling sluggish, not feeling confident in our clothes, feeling like taking a nap after lunch, and so on. The connection between diet and mood is more than physical. It’s psychological, too. When you change your eating habits to include more plant-based foods, 99% of the time you are going to feel better. Which of course makes you want to keep performing the activity that has you feeling better.
This bowl is the perfect place to start —> steamed kale, cooked quinoa, garbanzo beans, roasted sweet taters all topped with a dairy-free creamy miso dressing. I call it my power bowl, because it’s packed with goodness! Gluten-free, vegan, and contains 16g of protein per bowl.
I have jumped on the quinoa bandwagon with both feet over the past few years as I love its versatility! On Sundays, when I do most of my meal prep for the week, I like to make a big batch of it to serve under stir fry, tuck into tacos, or pile on salads like this one. While I obviously eat a lot of gluten-filled foods (hello pasta!), I can’t deny the “lightness” I feel when I include gluten-free grains into my diet.
Finally- let’s talk about this dressing! Seriously, is there anything miso can’t do? Whenever I am creating a recipe and think it’s missing that something, I usually add a tad of miso.
60% of the time, it works every time.
Kale is another one of those can’t-get-enough-of foods. But really any vegetable combo will work here. I make a batch of this dressing and use it on various salads throughout the week. As long as you have a combo of vegetables, beans and grains, the possibilities for bowls like this are endless.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups kale
- 4 tsp. miso
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the sweet potato rounds on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Lightly brush the sweet potatoes with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. I use a pastry brush to lightly tap olive oil on each of the sweet potato rounds.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Flip over and cook for an additional 5 minutes until done.
- Place the quinoa and 1 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to low, simmer for 12 minutes until done. Fork to fluff and set aside.
- While the sweet potatoes and quinoa are cooking, set up a steamer.
- Lightly steam the kale for 5 minutes until bright green and slightly tender. Remove from steamer and set aside.
- Whisk together the miso with 1 tbsp. warm water. Stir until miso is dissolved. Whisk in the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic clove and pinch salt/pepper.
- Assemble! Place the steamed kale, garbanzo beans, quinoa and sweet potato rounds into a bowl. Drizzle with miso dressing!
What are your favorite feel good meals?