Spicy Vegan Puttanesca Pizza! Fresh dough layered with tomatoes, olives, capers and homemade vegetarian parmesan cheese.
- Pizza Dough (I used a plain dough from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into very thin 1/2 moons
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp. tomato sauce
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced very thin
- 1/4 cup chopped olives
- 2 tbsp. capers
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- Vegetarian Cheese for sprinkling: Pulse all ingredients into a powder: 3/4 cup cashews, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 1 tbsp. garlic powder, pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add 1/2 tbsp. olive oil.
- Add the red onions, red pepper flakes and pinch salt and cook until translucent and soft, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove the onions from the pan and add the additional 1/2 tbsp. olive oil.
- Add the sliced button mushrooms and saute until browned, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Spread out the 3 tbsp. of tomato sauce onto the crust, leaving about 1″ around the edge for the crust. Depending on how big your crust is, you may need to add another tbsp. of sauce.
- Layer the sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, onions on the sauce. Sprinkle on the olives and capers.
- Place the pizza in the oven for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned and golden!
- Remove and sprinkle with parsley, more red pepper flakes and vegetarian parmesan cheese shake!