Red Lentil Soup, vegan and gluten-free! A healthy, low-fat soup that’s cozy and simple! Packed with 18g protein.
Lentil Soup for the Soul. Do you remember those books? I don’t know if there was ever a Chicken Soup for the Vegetarian Soul edition, but if there was- this soup would be on the cover. If you have ever uttered the phrase “I want a big bowl of something comforting!” then this red lentil soup is your kinda meal.
I really feel like lentils could create world peace. There is nothing more soothing than sipping on an incredibly nourishing soup loaded with vegetables, lentils, and spices. After a bowl of this, I am ready to conquer the world! Well, at least conquer my to-do list.
This soup has been getting me through our monsoon-like weather as of late. Since we’ve been in a drought for the past several years, I’m trying hard to enjoy all of the rain and am using the wet weather as an excuse to stay in bed a bit longer or curl up with a book and a mug of this soup.
While it’s pretty easy to put this soup together, the flavor is anything but simple. A boldly flavor soup seasoned with turmeric, ginger, and paprika! Since I crave lots of spice this time of year, I like to finish this off with a bit of cayenne pepper for an extra bonus kick, optional if you want it!
If you haven’t had red lentils before, they behave completely different than brown or green lentils. Once cooked, they lose their shape and become porridge-like in texture. Perfect for a thick, stick-to-your-ribs soup without using butter, cream, or cheese.
Since we don’t use any dairy, this creamy soup freezes beautifully! Make a batch, eat what you can, and then freeze the rest in an air-tight bag or container. Whenever you’re in need of a little pick me up this winter, just thaw and serve.
Each serving of this soup also contains 18g of protein and 17g fiber, a one-two punch of satisfying and satiating.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Red Lentil Soup
Yield 8 cups
Red Lentil Soup! Vegan and Gluten-free! A healthy, low-fat soup that's cozy and simple! Packed with protein.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 large baking potato, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- pinch salt/pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Heat 1 tsp. olive oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan.
- Add the onion and let cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic, celery, and potato chunks. Cook until soft and lightly browned, another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, ground ginger, paprika and salt/pepper and stir until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, lentils, and canned tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes and cook until lentils are tender.
- Remove from heat and puree 1/2 of the soup using either a blender or immersion blender.
- Add back in the 1/2 of the soup and stir in the herbs and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt/pepper if needed and serve.