These southwest sliders have become my go-to entertaining snack. I first made them for New Years Eve last month with BL’s family, a crowd of die-hard meat eaters who couldn’t get enough. My sweet father-in-law proclaiming once again that, “if I cooked for him, he could become vegetarian.”
Which, is my favorite part of all. I know that sometimes the words plant-based, vegetarian and vegan can be scary. I get it. There is so much emotion wrapped up in food, the thought of having to “give up” a favorite can feel threatening.
And while I’m not hear to mandate any particular eating habit, I hope I’ve been able to showcase how perfectly normal food can be sans meat and sometimes dairy and eggs. Plants are cool, healthy, sexy and delicious. Whatever your diet, I think we can all agree to add in more plants.
Dare I say these sliders are the perfect way to do it? Patties of beans, quinoa and walnuts. While homemade veggie burgers can sometimes be tricky to perfect (a balance of crispy vs. mushy can be harder with larger patties), these are bite-sized and almost foolproof.
I then topped these with guacamole, tomatoes, and chopped peppers but the skies the limit. Either way, I think they will be a perfect addition to your Superbowl menu this weekend, or anytime you want to show omnivores how yummy plant-based eating can be.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Southwest Sliders! Spiced black bean and quinoa sliders, perfect for the Superbowl or entertaining! Vegan and gluten-free (with GF bun)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts*
- slider buns (gluten-free for GF version)
- sliced cheese (vegan or regular)
- guacamole (I love Wholly Guacamole or my homemade)
- finely chopped bell peppers
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced red onion
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add in cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper and a generous pinch of salt/pepper and stir together. Set aside.
- Place the black beans in a large bowl and roughly mash, keeping some of the beans whole.
- Add in the cooked quinoa and cooked mushrooms and stir together to combine. Stir in the finely chopped walnuts and mix to form a batter. It should stick together when pressed between your fingers.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet and form mini-burger patties. Place on the baking sheet and cook for 35-40 minutes until crispy and browned.
- Add the sliders to the buns and top as desired. I love these both with a dollop of guacamole, slice of cheese, chopped peppers and a slice of tomato.
*The walnuts act as a binder, you want them finely crumbled but not a paste. I pulse them in a food processor until crumbs form.