Vegan Tomato Basil Pasta! This creamy vegan pasta recipe is so delicious and perfect for busy weeknights. You’d never guess it’s dairy-free!
- 1 quart cherry tomatoes
- 1 small yellow or white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb. ziti or other pasta
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/3 cup freshly torn basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss together the cherry tomatoes, chopped onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and olive oil. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes until vegetables have softened and tomatoes have slightly burst.
- While the vegetables are cooking, bring a large pot of salted water (use the 3/4 teaspoon salt) to a boil. Add the ziti and cook until tender according to package directions; drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water.
- Add the cooked tomato mixture, cashews and 3/4 cup reserved pasta water to a high powered blender and puree until very creamy. Depending on the power of your blender, this may take ~5 minutes. Taste, adding more salt/red pepper flakes/black pepper as needed.
- Toss the hot pasta with the creamy tomato sauce and the torn basil leaves. Serve immediately!
- I photographed this with leftover crumbled tempeh bacon that I had on hand. You can use this tempeh bacon recipe or purchase it if you want an extra protein boost!
Keywords: vegan pasta recipe