Oh man, have I got the sandwich for you. This vegetarian beet Reuben sandwich is so knock-your-socks-off delicious; I can’t wait for you to try it!
Two pieces of rye bread hold together perfectly pickled beets, punchy sauerkraut, melted swiss and homemade thousand island inspired spread. It’s possibly the furthest thing from a classic Reuben, but it’s so yummy and perfect that it might just top the original. At least, in my mind. I’ve never actually had a traditional Reuben sandwich but who cares? The combination of flavors is so amazing; it doesn’t really matter what you call it.
To keep things easy, I’m using my favorite pickled sliced beets from Aunt Nellie’s. Picked and packed at peak ripeness, these beets taste like homemade without any peeling, cooking and pickling required. Simply open the jar, top your sandwich, griddle until melted and enjoy.
Are you a beet fan? They are one of BL’s favorite vegetables so we eat them often. I love arugula, whipped feta and pickled beet sandwiches, adding jarred beets to homemade hummus and adding a few drops of beet liquid to lemonade for a delicious take on pink lemonade. It’s safe to say that we love beets in all forms; especially when they are as delicious (and easy to use) as Aunt Nellie’s.
If you love beets, then you must try this sandwich. And, for more beet love, be sure to check out Aunt Nellie’s Facebook and Instagram pages this week! I’ll be taking over today to share some of my favorite ways that I enjoy beets.
For more great beet recipes and information on the seven varieties of beets they offer, visit the Aunt Nellie’s website.
As a thank you for being such an amazing reader, I’m giving away a $100 Visa Giftcard AND an Aunt Nellie’s gift back. For an easy entry, comment below on your favorite way to eat beets! xo
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Vegetarian Beet Reuben! You’ve gotta try this creative sandwich. Homemade thousand island dressing, swiss cheese, pickled beets, sauerkraut on rye bread. Ready in just 10 minutes!
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill pickle
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (like Tabasco)
- 8 slices rye bread
- 8 slices swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 cup drained sauerkraut
- 1 jar Aunt Nellie’s sliced pickled beets, drained and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Mix the mayo, pickle, ketchup and hot sauce together in a small bowl.
- Assemble the sandwiches: spread a slice of bread with the mayo mixture, then add a slice of cheese, 5-7 slices of beet, ~1/4 cup of sauerkraut, another slice of cheese. Top with another slice of bread spread with the mayo mixture. Repeat with the rest of the sandwiches (bread, mayo, cheese, beets, sauerkraut, cheese, mayo, bread)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add a sandwich and let cook until crispy, golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes. Flip the sandwich and cook another 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches, adding a little more butter if needed.
- Cut in half and serve warm!