Looking for a hearty, high-protein, cholesterol free breakfast? I’ve got you covered. A twist on the more traditional breakfast burrito, this tofu breakfast taco is savory, a little sweet, with the right amount of spice.
Completely vegan with a gluten-free option, just use corn tortillas over flour.
Breakfast Tofu Tacos! Layers of roasted sweet potatoes, tofu scramble, and black beans. Topped with a avocado-verde sauce.
- 8 tortillas
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 cup Avocado Salsa Verde Sauce (they sell this at Trader Joe’s and Safeway- look in the fresh salsa area. Or substitute your favorite salsa Verde and add 1 diced avocado)
- 1 pound tofu, pressed
- 1/2 onion
- 1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- dash smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1/2 tbsp. oil
- Make the potatoes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Finely chop the potatoes and toss with 1/2 tbsp. oil and pinch salt pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes until crispy. (To speed the process up for a quick weekday meal, warm the sweet potatoes by either steaming them or pop them in the microwave for a few minutes. I cubed and then steamed mine until they were soft. This really cuts down the roasting time, only 10 minutes. You could also do this on the stove.)
- Make the scramble: start by sweating the onion and pepper over medium high heat with a tablespoon of oil. Cook until onion becomes translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Crumble the tofu between your hands into the skillet, it should look “scrambled”
- Add the salt, turmeric and paprika. Stir to combine and continue to cook over medium heat until warm, about 5 minutes. Add the black beans and stir to combine.
- To assemble:
- Start with a warmed tortilla (heat it in a dry skillet for 1-2 minutes per side). Layer the tofu scramble, black beans and the sweet potatoes. Top with the avocado salsa verde or sliced avocado and 1 tbsp. salsa verde.