There are a few foods that I’m pretty sure I could out eat anyone in:
1. Guacamole, or just avocados in general. I don’t discriminate.
2. Salad. It’s slightly embarrassing when we head to Fresh Choice. I really do love leafy greens.
I’m not proud of the fact that I can singley handly consume the entire 8 oz. tub on one sitting but facts are facts. In fact, it’s one of the big reasons I started making my own. Those $3 tubs quickly add up in my weekly habit.
Over the years, I’ve made a million variations of hummus adding and tweaking ingredients here and there, but this is hands down my favorite hummus recipe. I adapted it from the Barefoot Contessa.
At first glance you might think that 3 cups is too much hummus to have around, but once you taste it you’ll be glad you have that much. Maybe next time you’ll even consider doubling it. It really is delicious on everything: roasted vegetables, salads, tossed with hot pasta, sandwiches, or just eat by the spoonful.
The other great thing about this hummus? It’s essentially oil-free. I don’t understand recipes that call for almost a cup of oil. That kind defeats the point of hummus, don’t ya think? You could drizzle olive oil on at the end like I do for more flavor and presentation but you don’t have to.
The BEST hummus! Creamy hummus that’s ready in just 6 minutes. Homemade hummus tastes so much better than store hummus!
- Homemade Hummus
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 7 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. reserved chickpea liquid, or water
- 6 dashes hot sauce
- 3 ice cubes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (optional)
- Paprika garnish