Slow Cooker Red Curry! Lots of vegetables & chickpeas cooked in a coconut-red curry sauce. Throw everything in the slow cooker, and it’s ready for dinner when you get home from work! #Vegan & #Glutenfree
No. The answer is no. Slow cookers are the best invention for days when you want a home cooked meal, without the cook part.
Red Curry has quickly climbed to the top of my recent favorite dishes. It probably has something to do with the 4, count them 4, Thai restaurants in a three block radius of our condo. Have I mentioned how much I love city living?
So, that many options nearby means Thai take-out a few times a month, typically rotating between sesame noodles or red curry. I will drink curry sauce if needed too; it’s the perfect blend of coconut creamy, red chili spicy, soy sauce salty, and brown sugar sweet.
This month’s recipe redux theme is “Spooky Spices”- you know those spices that lurk in the back of your spice cabinet, that you bought for use in a recipe years ago and have been too scared to touch since?
For me, I used to be fearful of Thai & Indian type meals. I loved to eat them, but didn’t have a clue where to start in my own kitchen. After lots of flops, I’m now pretty confident in my ability to take on Thai. In fact, I now sometimes prefer my healthier spin over takeout- especially when recipes are this easy.
While this sauce could easily be slurped on its own, it’s the tastiest vehicle for beans & vegetables that I can think of. Each bowl contains a full serving of vegetables and protein! Don’t wanna slow cook? No problem! Simmer the sauce and add the vegetables. Cook on low for 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Slow Cooker Red Curry! Lots of vegetables & chickpeas cooked in a coconut-red curry sauce. Throw everything in the slow cooker and it’s ready for dinner when you get home from work! #Vegan & #Glutenfree
- 2 tbsp. red curry paste (I like Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 tbsp. freshly minced ginger
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 thai chili, thinly sliced (or more if you want more heat)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup rice (I used sprouted blonde rice from Planet Rice)
- 1/3 cup thai basil
- Whisk together the red curry paste with coconut milk and peanut butter until smooth. Place into the base of a slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Stir in 3/4 cup rice. Increase heat to high and cook for 30-45 minutes depending on rice type.
- Stir in thai basil and serve immediately.
- As an alternative, decrease vegetable broth to 1 cup, do not add rice to the slow cooker and serve as is or over your favorite grain.
Full video of the recipe below!
Ready for more Spooky Spice conquering? Check out the roundup below!