Turmeric Red Lentil Soup Author: Alex Caspero Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 50 mins Total time: 1 hour 5 mins Serves: 4-6 servings Turmeric Red Lentil Soup! Creamy, thick lentil stew with turmeric, vegetables and kale. Vegan and Gluten-Free.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3–4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups torn kale leaves
- 1/2 cup cashew cream (1/2 cup raw cashews pureed with 1/2 cup water)
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook until very soft and reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg and turmeric. Stir to combine and cook until spices are fragrant. Add in the tomatoes, with juice, lentils and vegetable broth. Cook, stirring often, until lentils are cooked through, about 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and cook until wilted, an additional 5-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir in the cashew cream and more vegetable broth, if needed, to thin.