Curry Noodles! My favorite two loves in one dish: spicy, slurpy curry sauce coating whole wheat pasta and stir-fried veggies.
Do I really need to say anything else?
How about the fact that BL has requested this dish 3 separate times since I first made it a few weeks ago. Three. My husband who hates all things curry wants to eat this dish on a regular basis.
*Drops the Mic* We’re done here.
Here is my ultimate litmus test for what gets to go on this space: do I end up eating bite after bite as I’m cooking? Because, honestly, if you’re not tempted to taste the entire way through, it’s not a show-stopping winner. When your kitchen begins to smell like a Thai restaurant, good luck waiting until you sit down to the table.
The first time I made this I went a little crazy with the vegetable add-ins. A shock to no one I am sure. While it tasted great, all the extra stuff overpowered the simplicity of the noodles and lightly fried tempeh.
A good reminder that sometimes more is just more, and how fairly simple dishes sometimes taste the best. I ended up sticking with only red bell pepper strips and scallions which complement the spicy sauce perfectly.
Low maintenance + simple ingredients make this an easy weeknight dinner you will keep coming back to. Boil the noodles, saute the tempeh, make the sauce, heat together. This complete meal is ready in less than 30 minutes!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Vegan Curry Noodles! Low maintenance + simple ingredients make this an easy weeknight dinner you will keep coming back to. This complete meal is ready in less than 30 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 8 oz. tempeh, crumbled
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 12 oz. whole-wheat spaghetti noodles or other noodles
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- thinly sliced scallions, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat and add onion and tempeh, cooking until onion is soft, about 6-8 minutes. Add jalapeno, garlic, curry powder, ginger, red pepper and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1-2 additional minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook, until paste is darkened, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour, and cook until toasted and no flour remains visible, another 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is reduced by ½, about 20 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, cook the noodles. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add the past and cook until al dente. Drain and then add to sauce, tossing to coat.
- Remove the dish from heat and add in lime juice and zest. Garnish with scallions and serve.