Vegan Delicata Squash Red Curry! If you’re looking for a healthy, plant-based dinner- this is it! Simmered tofu and squash in a mild red curry sauce. Easily gluten-free.
I still remember the first time I had delicata squash. Two years ago, when I spotted the adorable little things at Trader Joe’s. I picked up two and promptly went home to prepare them the way TJ’s told me to. Slice into rings, remove the seeds and roast with a bit of olive oil until just crispy and tender. Annnnd then I went back and bought 10,000 more. Now, I count down the days until I get to enjoy them on repeat.
Of course, I couldn’t tell you what I did last week, the majority of research for my thesis, or what I got for BL last year for Christmas. But, food? My memory never fails me.
This curry dish is an ode to three of my favorite things: tofu, curry and of course, delicata squash. Thankfully, it’s fairly easy to put together- even for a weeknight dinner.
Once you slice the squash, roast until tender and golden brown. This will help it stay crisp in the curry sauce, without getting mushy. There are some great curry pastes out there, with Thai Kitchen and Maesri being my favorites. Fry in a little bit of oil until fragrant, then whisk in coconut milk, chilis, ginger, roasted squash and cubed tofu. Simmer until thick and the tofu and squash are tender and cooked through. Enjoy as is or over rice.
This vegan and gluten-free meal is so delicious, I have a feeling you’ll be making it over and over again this season. If you can’t find delicata squash (I can always find them at Trader Joe’s this time of year), feel free to sub in peeled and cubed butternut or kabocha squash.
- 1 large delicata squash
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons red thai curry paste
- 1 15 ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free version
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1-2 red thai chilis, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- ¼ cup basil (preferably thai basil)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Rice, for serving
- Slice the delicata squash into ½" half moons and remove any pulp and seeds. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drizzle delicata squash with 2 teaspoons olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes until tender.
- In a large skillet or saute pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the curry paste and mash into the hot oil until all the paste is incorporated. Reduce heat to medium-low, slowly drizzle in the coconut milk, whisking continuously until all milk has been added and mixture is smooth without any clumps.
- Stir in ½ cup water, basil, ginger, soy sauce, maple syrup and chilis. Add the roasted squash and tofu then cook for 10-15 minutes until sauce has thickened and squash is heated through. Stir in the lime juice.
- Serve over rice.