Hi, comfort food.
We’re currently in the time of year where I really want to move out of St. Louis. Preferably to somewhere that’s closer to 70 degrees than 7. I admit, I don’t handle winter well. 100+ degree days with sweltering humidity? Done. I am a champ when it comes to sweating all day long. But the moment there is a slight chill in the air? I want the fireplace on, the heat turned up and my thick, fuzzy socks. I’d much prefer a sweat lodge to an igloo.
Thankfully, we have resources for days like this. They come in the form of creamy vegan mac and cheese, with steamed broccoli for a little added nutrition.
Vegan mac and cheese you say? Yup. Mac and cheese without the cheese. A decedent, velvety cheese sauce that coats the shells and broccoli nooks and crannies in complete deliciousness. If you’re like me and are always looking for more vegan but cheesy recipes, then this one is for you.
The sauce gets body from both cauliflower and cashews. If you’ve ever spent any time around vegan cheese sauce recipes, then you know these are both popular contenders. Why choose one when you can have both? The cauliflower lightens the entire thing up while the cashews provide yummy mouthfeel and richness. There’s also nutritional yeast, dry mustard, tomato paste and turmeric.
I’m currently working on updating my rolodex of kid-friendly recipes. Mostly because I have said kid who will be starting solids in a little under 3 months. While this obviously won’t be his first meal, I want to have a staple of kid-friendly recipes that are healthier than the fare I grew up with. So, I added steamed broccoli and plan on telling Van this one is cheese and trees. (PS- I’m working on interviewing baby-led weaning experts for a post in the next few months. If you’ve got questions, let me know.)
This vegan mac and cheese is perfect for times when you don’t want anything really far outside of the box. Well, except dairy. And cheese. And healthier. And more vegetables and less butter. You too!? Enjoy.
If you try this Vegan Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
Yield 6 servings
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli! Creamy shells with steamed broccoli, a plant-based meal for both adults and kids. Easily gluten-free with gluten-free pasta.
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (I like triple-pressed, refined oil for a lesser coconut taste)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 cup chopped raw cashews
- 1 pound shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until warm. Add in nutritional yeast, mustard, tomato paste, garlic, salt and turmeric and cook until mixed though, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the almond milk, then bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add in the cauliflower florets and cashews and let simmer until cauliflower is very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower-cashew mixture to a blender or food processor along with the vinegar and puree until very smooth, working in batches if needed. Depending on the power of your blender, this could take anywhere from 1-2 minutes. You don't want any grainy pieces of cauliflower or cashews, so make sure it's creamy and smooth before proceeding.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot filled with salted water and able to be fitted with a steamer basket to a boil. Add the shells and cook, stirring often, until just tender, according to package time. Remove the shells with a slotted spoon (to keep the cooking water) along with 1/2 cup cooking water. Place the shells without the cooking water in a large bowl.
- Bring the water back to a boil and fit with a steamer basket. Add the broccoli and cover, cooking until bright green and not overly tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Toss the hot macaroni with the cashew-cauliflower sauce until well coated. Season with salt and pepper, if needed/desired. Add in the broccoli and toss again, adding in any remaining cooking water to thin sauce, if needed. Serve hot.
Courses dinner, main, pasta,
Cuisine italian, vegan, vegetarian
Serving Size 1/6th recipe
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 23 g
Unsaturated Fat 8 g
Sodium 782 mg
Total Carbohydrates 70 g
Dietary Fiber 9 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 18 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to check out my other vegan pasta recipes: 20 Minute Vegan Pasta, Creamy Cauliflower Pasta, Creamy Cauliflower Pasta, Butternut Squash Fettuccini, & Tempeh Bacon Carbonara