The best vegan pasta! Sauteed vegan ‘sausage’ and red peppers in a spicy sauce! Ready in 40 minutes but tastes like you’ve been making the sauce all day!
Things are about to get saucy!
Sautéed sweet peppers & vegan sausage tossed with pasta and herbs. This one is like a giant sausage and pepper sandwich –> in the form of pasta. Because we all know how I feel about pasta. And it’s been over a month since I posted a pasta recipe. A month! Thank goodness we are changing that.
As a kid, I lived for sausage and pepper sandwiches. Actually, my dad lives for sausage and pepper sandwiches, which means I was always begging for bites when he ordered them. Such a treat. I loved when we would sneak off to Lowes and stop for a sausage sandwich on the way. One spicy sandwich for my dad, multiple bites for me.
Even if my love for real sausage has gone away, my adoration for sweet and spicy peppers has not. Ever since I found the Field Roast vegan sausages a few months ago, I have been grilling and sautéing them in every way possible.
This sauce gets its flavor from 4 main sources:
1. Meaty Italian Vegan Sausage
2. Caramelized Onions and Peppers
3. Red wine reduction
4. Fresh basil & red pepper flakes
Together, this combination provides the perfect balance of sweet and heat, just like a perfect sausage & pepper sandwich.
You’re going to love this weeknight pasta. It’s–
While I love the heartiness of rigatoni pasta, feel free to use whichever noodle you prefer. If you want to convert this recipe into a more traditional sandwich, make the sauce to serve in a hoagie roll. Want it gluten free? Choose gf noodles or even spiralized veggies!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
The best vegan pasta! Sauteed ‘sausage’ and red peppers in a spicy sauce! Perfect for a group or dinner party! Easy enough for a weeknight meal too.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Italian Field Roast Sausages, sliced (or other vegan sausage)
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced into strips
- 2 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (14.5oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 pound rigatoni, whole wheat or gluten-free if preferred
- In a large skillet, add the oil and heat over medium high heat.
- Add the sliced sausages and brown on both sides until crispy, about 2-3 minutes. It’s ok if a little sticks to the pan,you will get that off later. Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside.
- Add the bell peppers, onions, and pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook until soft and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, and fresh basil and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until incorporated, then add the wine, tomatoes with juice, and red pepper flakes.
- Stir to combine, scraping any of the sausage bits off.
- Add the reserved sausages and bring the sauce to a simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- While the sausage is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the rigatoni until just al dente.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce after 20 minutes, adding a bit of pasta water to thin out if needed.
- Serve and garnish with additional basil, if desired.