Weeknight Tortilla Soup! This vegan tortilla soup is so delicious and packed with plant-based protein, fiber and vegetables. Healthy, filling a MUST-TRY! This recipe was first published in 2014, and updated in 2020.
As the name implies, this is a quick & easy weeknight tortilla soup meal that comes together in just 30 minutes. Perfect for busy evenings, lazy weekends, or whenever you are craving a spicy soup rich with vegetables and beans.
Living in Northern California for almost a decade, we enjoyed our fair share of Mexican food. Living just a few blocks from quite a few Mexican restaurants, it was safe to say that we enjoyed our share of chips and salsa, margaritas and tacos almost weekly. I’m never not in the mood for spicy sauce, crispy tortillas and savory toppings. It’s probably why to this day tacos are one of my favorite food groups and something that I eat at least weekly.
This weeknight tortilla soup is my take on my go-to order at one of our previous favorite haunts. A slightly spicy, tomato based soup filled with vegetables, beans, corn and then topped with all the goodies: crispy tortilla strips, avocado and cilantro. It’s just so, so good. I’ve been making this one for over 6 years and every time I do, BL raves and raves about it and asks me to please make it more.
It’s the perfect balance of warm soup, cooling avocado and a little crunch from the tortilla strips. It’s also one of the few soups that sounds appealing on both 20 degree and 70 degree afternoons.
Did I mention how easy this one is? I call it my weeknight tortilla soup because unlike many soup recipes, this one doesn’t need hours and hours on the stove to simmer. If you can dice an onion and open a few cans, then you can make this soup! There is a video below that shows you step-by-step on how to put this one together! Fellow spicy fans, I highly recommend using fire-roasted tomatoes and extra hot sauce.
The crispy tortilla strips are a must for me, but if you’re really feeling lazy then you can just stir the tortillas directly into the soup. However, the fresh cilantro and lime juice are a must for me. The acid from the lime juice cuts through the tomato broth so perfectly, it feels off if you leave it out.
Then top to your hearts content! I’ve served this one for dinner parties and it’s fun to have bowls of toppings for people to enjoy. Obviously avocado, cilantro and tortilla strips but lime wedges, street corn salad, quesadilla croutons are all fun as well.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Watch how to make this vegan tortilla soup recipe here:Print
Weeknight Tortilla Soup! This vegan tortilla soup is so delicious and packed with plant-based protein, fiber and vegetables. Healthy, filling a MUST-TRY!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz.) cans corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large avocado, diced, for garnish
- lime wedges, for serving
- In a large sauce pan, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, poblano pepper, garlic and pinch salt. Stir to combine and cook until onion is translucent and cooked down, about 7 minutes.
- Add the jalapeño peppers, carrots, cumin, and coriander. Stir together and cook another 5 minutes until carrot is tender.
- Add the corn, black beans, tomatoes, vegetable broth. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, make the tortilla topping.
- Heat the remaining Tablespoon oil in a cast-iron or non stick pan.
- Cut the tortillas into small strips and add to the hot pan. Cook until crispy, about 3-4 minutes, then remove and set aside.
- To serve, stir the cilantro into the soup, then laddle soup into bowls then top with crispy tortilla strips, diced avocado, lime wedge and more chopped cilantro, if desired.
Keywords: vegan tortilla soup recipe