As the name implies, this is a quick & easy meal that comes together in just 30 minutes. Perfect for busy weeknights, lazy weekends, or whenever you are craving a spicy soup rich with vegetables and beans.
Living in Northern California, we enjoy our fair share of mexican food. This past weekend we went out for enchiladas on Friday, made this soup for lunch on Saturday and ate tacos as we watched the superbowl. I blame living where we do but really, I think we would eat like this even if we lived in Fargo.
BL loves spicy peppers and I could eat my body weight in avocado. That’s why my soup is garnished with my favorite flavors: crispy corn tortillas, creamy avocado and fresh cilantro. It’s the perfect balance of warm soup, cooling avocado and a little crunch from the tortilla strips. It’s also one of the few soups that sounded appealing on a 70 degree afternoon.
While I love the idea of simmering a pot of soup all day, sometimes I just don’t have the time- or the energy. After eating out on Friday, I was craving the same flavors but in a healthier way. I’ve had my fair share of tortilla soup but this is by far one of my favorite versions. It may not be authentic but it’s rich with all of the ingredients I like. Plus, when I go back for bowl 2 and sometimes 3, I don’t feel guilty.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Watch how to make it here:Print
A 30 minute weeknight dinner loaded with vegetables and beans! Weeknight tortilla soup that’s both vegan and glutenfree.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. coriander
- 1 15 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
- In a large sauce pan, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, poblano pepper, garlic and pinch salt. Stir to combine and cook until onion is translucent and cooked down, about 7 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno peppers, carrots, cumin, and coriander. Stir together and cook another 5 minutes until carrot is tender.
- Add the corn, black beans, tomatoes, vegetable broth.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, make the tortilla topping.
- Heat the remaining tbsp. oil in a cast-iron or non stick pan.
- Cut the tortillas into small strips and add to the hot pan.
- Cook until crispy, remove and set aside.
- To serve:
- Top soup with tortilla strips, diced avocado, sprinkle cilantro and lime wedge.