I’m so excited to finally be sharing this recipe with you as we’ve been living off it for months. These oven roasted fajitas are so incredibly yummy (and easy!) that they’ve become my go-to recipe just about weekly.
In all honesty, perhaps the biggest surprise of being pregnant is my apathy towards spending a lot of time in the kitchen. While I still enjoy cooking (and, finally, eating again), I don’t have the same enthusiasm that was present just months ago.
I think it’s a combination of lacking overall energy and having a completely different appetite. Of course, I want to eat, but I still get easily turned off by most foods. It’s weird and I know it’s only temporary, so it is what it is. Needless to say though, it makes meal planning more challenging.
Last week I shared with you what we’ve been doing as of late, which seems to be working well. I pick a handful of recipes that I can make in bulk on Sunday then customize for lunch and dinners as we move through the week. This system seems to fit with all of
our my needs: I spend less time overall cooking and I don’t stress about needing to cook a separate meal each week night. (See also, sometimes I meal plan and then still rely on take-out because nothing in the fridge looks appetizing. I’m not perfect.)
Fajita peppers can easily be the cornerstone of most of my meals. I love them wrapped up in a soft tortilla, sometimes with beans, sometimes with scrambled eggs and hot sauce and sometimes with crumbled taco tofu. From there, we’ll throw the leftovers in nachos, quesadillas, burritos, salads or, coming on Wednesday, fajita enchiladas. I hope this baby loves peppers as much as I do.
Did I mention that they couldn’t be easier? Throw the peppers and onions in a large pan along with plenty of spice and oil. Let them roast until tender and slightly charred on the edges, then remove. (I made you a video, below!)
They’re also really customizable. If you’ve got any protein that you want to serve with, add it to the pan before cooking. Perhaps the best thing about this recipe is that they were made to feed a crowd. Slice all the vegetables ahead of time, then pop in the oven whenever you are ready. Ta-da. That’s it! Dinner is served.
P.S.- If you end up making these, I suggest a double batch to use the leftovers in my fajita enchiladas.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Watch how to make it here:Print
Oven Roasted Fajitas! These veggie fajitas are such a simple meal. Throw everything in the oven and dinner is ready in just 30 minutes. Customize them however you like ’em.
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced thin
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced thin
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 onion (red or yellow), sliced into thin strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cane sugar (optional to balance the spice)
- 1/2–3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Tortillas for serving (I got about 8-10 fajitas with this recipe, depending on how much you fill them)
- Toppings of choice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the peppers and onions in a large bowl and toss with the oil and spices. Toss well to combine, trying to coat the peppers with all of the spices.
- Place mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes, until tender. Check on the mixture around 20 minutes, making sure they don’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and divide among tortillas. Top as you’d like! If you want a heartier meal, stir in a cup of black beans right after the peppers come out of the oven.
- I love these with a bit of sour cream (vegan or regular) and a dollop of guacamole.