We can still enjoy soup, right?
I know the days are getting longer and the weather warmer, but I’m still in soup mode. Not big bowls of hearty chili mode, but comforting, slightly warm bowls filled with chunks of vegetables and bright flavors. It’s the perfect marriage between the two seasons, especially when paired with a salad and lots of crusty bread.
The inspiration for this recipe came after BL made the most delicious pan-fried potatoes for dinner one night. They were so simple, but incredibly yummy. Quartered Little Potato Company potatoes, a bit of olive oil, dried herbs and pepper flakes. I was craving them so much the next day, but wanted a heartier meal that would last for a few days.
So, soup it is.
I love potato soup, but am not the biggest fan of pureed potato soup. I think it’s because I like my soup to have chunks in it. I’m a huge fan of textures and this soup brings it’s A game. Creamy potatoes, bright spinach and tender hunks of vegan sausage.
In addition to being vegan, this soup is ready in just 30 minutes and gluten-free. As mentioned in my post earlier this year, I’ve been working to incorporate more and more gluten-free foods into my life. It’s tough; bread is my life-line and pasta is my blood. Thankfully, there are incredible options on the market these days that make the whole transition easier. I plan on doing an update in the future on my gluten-free experiment for helping with my thyroid, but for now, well, I’m doing my best.
Potatoes, then, have become our new go-to side dish and carbohydrate of choice. Naturally gluten-free (and chock-full of potassium, iron and vitamin C), they are an easy, versatile food that fits into just about any cuisine. We love them boiled, steamed, grilled, roasted, pan-fried, in soups, salads and kebobs.
The Little Potato Company potatoes are our favorite; super creamy, perfectly bite-sized and available in several varieties. This soup features their blushing belle, a red-skinned, yellow-fleshed potato with a smooth, velvety texture that’s perfect in stew.
Since I love The Little Potato Company so much, I want to share the product with you! Leave a comment below and I’ll pick a winner to receive a month’s supply of The Little Potato Company products! Man, that’s a lot of good eats.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Potato, Spinach and Sausage Soup. You are going to love this vegan and gluten-free soup! Similar to Olive Garden’s zuppa toscana.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like things spicy, like me)
- 12 ounces vegan sausage, chopped (my favorites are Tofurky and Field Roast brands, find them in the deli section near tofu)
- 1.5 pound bag The Little Potato Company Blushing Belle potatoes, quartered
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup cashew cream (or other non-dairy cream option. See how to make cashew cream here)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, pinch of salt and pepper, and sausage and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until sausage is lightly browned and onion has cooked down. Stir often so the sausage doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the potatoes and cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in the vegetable broth and increase heat to a low boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the spinach until wilted, then remove from heat. Stir in the cashew cream, mixing to just combine, and taste for seasoning. Depending on the saltiness of your broth (I typically favor a low-sodium broth), you may need more salt/pepper.