Slow Cooker Vegan Tikka Masala! This slow cooker meal is SO good and perfect for healthy weeknight dinners. If you love indian food, then you’ll love this simple dish. Chickpeas and tofu in a fragrant tomato-coconut sauce.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 oz) package firm tofu, drained and pressed and cubed
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 large lemon, juiced
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Lightly grease the inside of your slow cooker with a bit of olive oil or spray and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients from onion to salt together until well-combined.
- Place the tofu and chickpeas in the base of the slow cooker and pour the sauce ontop. Gently mix together until everything is combined, making sure the tofu and chickpeas are well coated.
- Place the bay leaf on top and cover, cooking for 4 hours on high (or 8 hours on low)
- When done, in a small bowl combine the coconut milk, cornstarch and gently stir into the mixture. Cook for an additional 20-30 minutes until thickened. (I use this time to cook the rice/naan!)
- Add in the lemon juice and stir once more before serving. I love this on steamed rice, some naan and maybe a little extra chopped cilantro!
This makes 4 large servings or 6 normal servings, especially if you are serving with rice and naan. But! Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, and the leftovers are so good for lunch.
Keywords: indian, vegan, glutenfree, slow cooker, tikka masala