Vegan Egg Salad sandwich! I actually thought I had posted this recipe years ago but after doing a search on my blog and not being able to find it, I realized that I haven’t shared this one with your before.
Well, I’m sorry. I make this vegan egg salad at least once a month and it’s one of my favorite sandwich fillings. I actually like it much more than traditional egg salad as I think that egg yolks with mayo tastes almost mealy. Not so with this tofu egg salad! It really is the best.
Here’s the secret to make this tofu actually tastes like egg salad. The first is using kala namak, aka black salt. I use this same salt when I make tofu scramble and it’s really does make a huge difference in this egg salad.
Black salt has a sulfur-like quality that tastes almost exactly like hard boiled eggs. You can grab a jar online or at specialty grocery stores; my small jar has lasted me almost 3 years as a little really goes a long way.
The other trick is using firm tofu and not extra-firm. Since egg salad is somewhat soft, firm tofu creates the best texture that’s similar to cooked egg whites.
I also prefer to cube the tofu instead of crumbling it as the best egg salad isn’t mashed and has actual chunks of eggs in it. If you like your egg salad more mashed, then I’d recommend mashing 1/4 of the tofu mixture, and keeping the rest of the tofu cubed.
I literally eat this salad by the spoonful but it’s fantastic as a sandwich. Toast bread (I like sourdough, Angelic Bakery Sprouted, Ezekiel and Dave’s Killer Bread), top with fresh chopped herbs (dill and chives are the best), fresh sliced tomatoes and salad greens. Eat! So, so good.Print
Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich! Vegan egg salad that tastes and looks like traditional egg salad!
Tofu Egg Salad
- 1 (14 ounce) block Firm Tofu, pressed*
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kala namak (black salt- see above)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped dill (optional)
- Black Pepper, to taste
Tofu Egg Salad Sandwich
- 1 recipe vegan egg salad, above
- 8 slices bread of choice
- 8 thin slices tomato
- torn lettuce or salad greens
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives or dill (optional)
- Remove tofu from tofu press or kitchen towel and chop into small cubes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, lemon juice, dijon mustard, vinegar, salad, turmeric and dill, if using. Add in the chopped tofu and stir to combine.
- Taste, adding in more black pepper/salt/mayo as desired.
- To serve, toast bread and spread tofu egg salad on top, followed by chopped herbs, sliced tomatoes and greens of choice. Cover with remaining toasted bread and enjoy! This recipe doesn’t freeze well, so enjoy within 5 days in the fridge.
*To press tofu, use a tofu press (I’m obsessed with this one!) or wrap in kitchen towels and place something heavy on top.
Keywords: tofu, egg salad, sandwich