Packed with immune-boosting functional foods like miso, ginger, and mushrooms, this vegan miso soup is one not to miss during the winter months.
For the Dashi (broth):
- 8 cups filtered water
- 2 strips kombu
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3-inch piece of ginger, peeled, and sliced into thin coins
For the Miso Soup
- 1 cup reserved Dashi
- 1/2 cup brown rice miso
- 8oz buckwheat soba noodles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3.5oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 6–8 kale or bok choy leaves, stems removed, and roughly chopped
- 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 7 oz extra firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3–4 green onions, finely chopped, light and dark green parts only
- For the Dashi (broth): Fill a large pot with water and add kombu, dried mushrooms, and ginger. Turn heat on to medium and let cook until just before the water begins to boil. Turn off the heat and remove the kombu, mushrooms and ginger with a slotted spoon.
- For the Miso Soup: While the dashi is still hot, reserve about 1 cup and mix with the miso in a bowl until miso is smooth consistency, free of any lumps.
- In a separate pot, cook the soba noodles according to the directions on the package (about 7 minutes in boiling water).
- Continue to heat the dashi over medium heat and add the garlic, kale/bok choy, mushrooms, ginger, and tofu. Let cook until kale begins to soften but before it gets too wilted, about 5-10 minutes. Turn off heat and whisk back the reserved miso broth.
- Separate the soba noodles into bowls for serving. Pour the miso soup over the noodles. Garnish with green onion.
- Note: If you have extra time and want to make a more flavorful Dashi, soak the kombu in the pot of water for about 3 hours before heating it with the other ingredients.
- I know you can technically slice the dried mushrooms after they have been cooked in the broth and add back to the soup, but I really dislike the flavor of cooked from dried mushrooms. Therefore, I add fresh ones!
Keywords: miso, vegan, vegetarian, dinner, soup