Cinnamon and apples! Besides peanut butter and jelly, this might be one of my favorite flavor combinations.
My breakfast for the last few weeks has been a slice of hearty bread, a smear of peanut butter, a few slices of apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. Try it. It’s super delicious, filling and made in 10 seconds flat.
BL brought me a bag of locally-picked apples from his office last week and I felt this sudden urge to bake with them immediately. I knew if I went into labor, then those beautiful apples would likely be spoiled by the time I actually got around to them and as someone with food waste issues, that just couldn’t happen.
So, 40 weeks pregnant and baking. Why is this not a reality show? Honestly, it’s got to be more entertaining that most of the shows out there. Me, trying to cook, bumping into everything, too big to reach most dishes and unable to bend down far enough to pull the cake out of the oven.
But thankfully still able to eat it. When you eat two slices right from the baking dish, you know it’s a good cake.
I think you could serve this one for both a brunch and a dessert. It’s similar enough to coffee-cake to be enjoyed at 10AM, but sweet enough to have with a dollop of ice cream after dinner. The added ice cream part is definitely highly suggested; it’s the 40 weeks pregnant talking.
Whatever your plans are for the weekend, I think they should include this cake. Take advantage of the abundance of apple season and go for it. Enjoy. xo.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Cinnamon Spice Apple Cake! Similar to a coffee cake, perfect for brunch. This cake is packed with fresh apples and spices and topped with cinnamon-sugar. A must-make for Fall.
- 1 cup almond milk (or other milk)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup neutral oil
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together milk and white vinegar together in a glass. Set aside to let curdle, about 3-4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, white sugar, oil, applesauce, egg and vanilla together until well combined. Add in the milk and stir together.
- Whisk together the baking soda and flours. Add to the wet ingredients along with the chopped apples. Stir until just combined, then pour into a lightly greased 9×13″ baking pan.
- Crumble together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter together to form a mixture similar to wet sand. Crumble on top of the cake.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean from the middle. Remove and let cool before slicing.