Vegan Pumpkin Chili! This spicy and savory stew is perfect for crisp evenings! Black beans and vegetables simmered in a rich pumpkin chili sauce.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- scant 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (I just grind a whole nutmeg over a microplane a few times)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 15 oz. can 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper to taste
- Your favorite chili toppings, optional
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, and garlic cloves and cook another minute or two until the spices are fragrant, stirring often.
- Add in the fire roasted and diced tomatoes with juice along with the pumpkin puree and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the black beans, 1 cup water and salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover and let simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring often. The longer this cooks, the more flavor develops so feel free to make this one in the afternoon to let simmer for hours.
- Serve hot, with your favorite toppings!