Healing Cranberry Smoothie! The perfect breakfast or snack to counteract all the holiday sweets! Packed with nutrition!
This is typically the time of year when I start craving unprocessed, vegetable-filled meals. Don’t get me wrong, you know I’m not going to deny myself my favorite dishes; however, I find that I really do prefer produce-heavy meals most of the time.
I notice a dramatic shift in energy and clarity when my diet is full of plants. As much as I want to enjoy the same feeling from extra-cheese pizza and cinnamon rolls, unfortunately, that’s just not the case.
I first created this cranberry smoothie a few years ago when my freezer was overflowing with cranberries, and I was craving something sweet, yet nourishing.
I wanted something refreshing, cold and seasonal. The combination of orange and cranberry is amazing to me. I love the tart berry and sweet, refreshing orange together. Smoothies are one of my favorite ways to get ‘back on track‘, but this time I wasn’t in the mood for the usual green suspects.
How have I not put cranberries in a smoothie before? Orange and cranberry are the yin and yang to sweet and tart. Add a little banana for extra creaminess, and this is one smoothie you’ll be firing up the blender for day after day. Besides being ready in no-time flat, it’s become my favorite thing to sip after a hot yoga class.
Whole cranberries also pack quite a nutritious punch! Besides being one of the best sources of antioxidants, they’re also loaded with:
Plus, research shows that consuming the whole cranberry is more beneficial to your heart than taking concentrated cranberry supplements. Since fresh cranberries are so abundant this time of year, buy a few bags to store in the freezer! Keeping them frozen also negates the need for ice in this smoothie.
I’ve included maple syrup in the ingredients, but that’s completely optional. My thoughts- the first time you make this, only add in a little or no sweetener. Then, if you want it sweeter, add a little more.
Sometimes I like this pucker tart and sometimes I like this a little more sweet. Therefore, the maple add is completely optional! I shared with Vander a few weeks ago and he went gaga for it. So funny to see him love smoothies!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Healing Cranberry Smoothie! The perfect breakfast or snack after all the holiday sweets! Packed with nutrition!
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup whole cranberries
- 2 oranges, peeled
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Place the ingredients into a high powered blender, like in the order listed: water, cranberries, oranges and banana.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. If desired, add in 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Sometimes I want this more tart and sometimes I want things a little sweeter!
- If you are using a standard blender, you might need to puree a few times until smooth.
- A warning that this smoothie is a bit tart! While I love that sour/tart flavor of cranberries and orange, you may prefer it a little more sweet. In that case, add a little stevia, agave, maple, honey, whatever you prefer in with the ingredients. You can also decrease the cranberries to 1/2 cup.
Keywords: smoothie, cranberry, orange, healthy, vegan, glutenfree