Moroccan Lentil and Chickpea Soup! If you like healthy, spicy food- you’ve gotta try this one out. Lentils, chickpeas and brown rice in a spicy tomato and harissa broth.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- generous pinch saffron (about 20 threads)
- 2 quarts low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2 cups brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1–2 tablespoons harissa (I used 2–3 tablespoons)
- 2 lemons, gut into wedges
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Cook the onion, celery and carrots until the vegetables are tender and begin to take on color, 7-8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, pepper and saffron. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes and rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add the lentils and chickpeas and simmer until the lentils and rice are tender, about 35 minutes. The soup is meant to be thick, but if it seems too thick, add water, 1/2 cup at a time, to reach desired consistency.
- Stir in the cilantro, parsley and harissa and cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish each serving with more herbs, plus the lemon wedges.
- Calories: 406
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 833 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 61 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 23 g